making ie compatible code firefox compatible using Greasemonkey?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by pantagruel, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. pantagruel

    pantagruel Guest

    Hi,
    The company I work for has purchased an absolute dog of a web based
    application that will only work on IE, looking through the code the
    most apparent IE only part is the continual use of the xmlhttp
    activeXobject, I won't have access to the source code so I can't change
    that but what I was thinking was would it be possible to write a
    Greasemonkey extension that loaded a script that declared activexobject
    as being a new instance of the firefox xmlhttp object, as well as
    whatever other objects that needed to be declared/extended in such a
    way that the IE site would run in Firefox.

    I suppose that depends on where/when Greasemonkey loads the extending
    script in the page load?

    Also, does anyone know of any scripts that already do a bunch of
    setting of objects in this way. I'm thinking of stuff that makes
    document.all mean sense to the W3C DOM. Normally this stuff is done as
    a one off.

    Any comments on this relatively not well thought out as yet idea?

    Thanks

    pantagruel, Feb 17, 2006