Making Java Act Like A Form

dougjrs

Good Evening!

I am trying to create a "wrapper" for a search page. The search page
that I have supports searching by zip codes, but not proximity. What
I would like to do is create a front end for the search and then pass
a list of zip codes to the search program.

The problem that I am having is moving the person doing the search to
the results that come back from the search. I just present the client
with a blank page not the results page. My "vision" is that my user
would provide me a zip code, I will create a list of zip codes withing
x mines of that zip code and then pass it to the search program.

When you have a form you go to the action="" page when you click on
submit. What happens to me is that when I send the POST to the server
I stay on the page. I need it to move to the page that I am doing the
post to.

I have created a very simple page to test what is going on. Here is
the code:
<%@ page language="java" import="org.apache.commons.httpclient.*,
org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.*" %>

<%
String url = "http://localhost:8080/printer.jsp";
try {
HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
PostMethod method = new PostMethod( url );

// Configure the form parameters
method.addParameter( "p", "Java" );

// Execute the POST method
int statusCode = client.executeMethod( method );
if( statusCode != -1 ) {
String contents = method.getResponseBodyAsString();
method.releaseConnection();
System.out.println( contents );

catch( Exception e ) {
e.printStackTrace();
out.println(e.toString());
}

%>

When I run this I get a 100% blank page. I want to go to the page
that the post is being done to.

Any help is appericated and thanks in advance for help!
Doug

Daniel Pitts

[...]

System.out.println does NOT print to the jsp output., try
"out.println" instead of "System.out.println"

%@ page language="java" import="org.apache.commons.httpclient.*,
org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.*" %>

<%
String url = "http://localhost:8080/printer.jsp";
try {
HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
PostMethod method = new PostMethod( url );

// Configure the form parameters
method.addParameter( "p", "Java" );

// Execute the POST method
int statusCode = client.executeMethod( method );
if( statusCode != -1 ) {
String contents = method.getResponseBodyAsString();
method.releaseConnection();
out.println( contents );

catch( Exception e ) {
e.printStackTrace();
out.println(e.toString());

Lew

Daniel said:
[...]

Why write this as JSP at all? You use nothing but scriptlet. If you wrote this
as a standard servlet, you'd probably find that existing methods like doPost()
will obviate the need to handle certain things yourself.

Take a gander at the Model-View-Controller, or "Model 2" paradigm for web
apps, as supported by Struts or JSF.

<http://java.sun.com/blueprints/guid...prise_applications_2e/web-tier/web-tier5.html>

The JSF section of <http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/>:
<http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/JSFIntro.html#wp114889>