Making Javascript just write the content

Laphan

Hi All

I'm using ASP to squirt some text into JS so that the JS write it into an
iFrame, but JS keeps giving me unterminated string errors when the text is
more than 1 line's worth. I thought JS was free-form!!

My code is simply:

iView.document.write('<P align=center><FONT face=Arial
size=4>ffff</FONT></P>
<P align=center><FONT face=Arial size=4>777</FONT></P>');
iView.document.close();

All of the content between the '..'' in the .write is what comes from my DB
via ASP.

If the content came out as:

iView.document.write('<P align=center><FONT face=Arial
size=4>ffff</FONT></P>');
iView.document.close();

then it works. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!

Could somebody please advise me on how get JS to work with a (possibly)
large chunk of data with the above.

Thanks

Laphan

Anthony Jones

Laphan said:
Hi All

I'm using ASP to squirt some text into JS so that the JS write it into an
iFrame, but JS keeps giving me unterminated string errors when the text is
more than 1 line's worth. I thought JS was free-form!!

Nope it isn't
My code is simply:

iView.document.write('<P align=center><FONT face=Arial
size=4>ffff</FONT></P>
<P align=center><FONT face=Arial size=4>777</FONT></P>');
iView.document.close();

All of the content between the '..'' in the .write is what comes from my DB
via ASP.

If the content came out as:

iView.document.write('<P align=center><FONT face=Arial
size=4>ffff</FONT></P>');

I assume that when you posted this it was all on one line.
iView.document.close();

then it works. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!

Could somebody please advise me on how get JS to work with a (possibly)
large chunk of data with the above.

Thanks

Laphan

First off this doesn't seem like a sound design. However you could force it
to one line by replacing vbCr with "\r" and vbLF with "\n" (you probably
should replace ' with \'). This would create a string that would all be on
one line. How long the line is allowed to be and whether it is sensible to
have a very long line I don't know. It should work though.

Laphan

Many thanks for all of your info and help Anthony

Rgds

Laphan