Making letters and symbols stay together

fuli open

When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
line. So this word would become:

"[T] (end of first line)
his" (beginning of next line)

I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

fuli open

dorayme

fuli open said:
When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
line. So this word would become:

"[T] (end of first line)
his" (beginning of next line)

I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

fuli open

You could try

fuli open

fuli open said:
When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
line. So this word would become:
"[T] (end of first line)
his" (beginning of next line)
I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.
fuli open

You could try

It works well. Thanks a lot for the prompt help.

fuli open

Nikita the Spider

fuli open said:
When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
line. So this word would become:

"[T] (end of first line)
his" (beginning of next line)

I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

You might try inserting Unicode character 0x2060, the word joiner:
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr14/#WJ

My guess is that browser support is spotty, but I don't really know.

Good luck

Jonathan N. Little

fuli said:
When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
line. So this word would become:

"[T] (end of first line)
his" (beginning of next line)

I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

Somehow I think you are not giving us all the necessary information,
like a *url*? Are yu just putting brackets [] around the character or
does [] represent something less? A browser will typically not wrap
within a word and if there are no spaces between the [] and the rest of
the word it should not wrap.

Ben C

fuli said:
[...]

I think you can break between ] and a Roman character without a space.
It's all done with Unicode breaking classes (or should be).

See http://unicode.org/reports/tr14/

Also the second link in a Google search for that:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/unicode/linebr.html

Oliver Wong

Toby A Inkster said:
fuli said:
dorayme said:

It works well.

Indeed, though frankly I think you're going a bit over the top by
bracketing a simple change of case.

I disagree. In an informal setting (e.g. a blog), I don't mind small
changes like case or spelling corrections to go unbracketed, but in a
formal setting (e.g. an online academic paper), all changes should be
denoted. I never ran into the wordwrapping problem mentioned above,
because when I changed the case, I just bracked the whole word, e.g.
"[This]"

- Oliver

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Oliver Wong:
In an informal setting (e.g. a blog), I don't mind
small changes like case or spelling corrections to go unbracketed,
but in a formal setting (e.g. an online academic paper), all changes
should be denoted.

That's a matter of convention, and indicating changes of letter case belongs
to a particular formal or "legalese" quotation style in English. It's
sometimes seen in other languages as well, probably due to influence of the
English practice, but it looks rather ridiculous and odd outside its
established scope of use. The Chicago Manual of Style presents case changes
(for contextual reasons) as permissible (see clause 11.8) but mentions
another, more rigorous usage "appropriate to legal writing and textual
commentary".
I never ran into the wordwrapping problem
mentioned above, because when I changed the case, I just bracked the
whole word, e.g. "[This]"

That's possible but slightly misleading, since it suggests that the entire
word has been changed or added.

Regarding the word wrapping problem, it exists in some browsers, including
IE, and the practical cures are the CSS property shite-space that has been
mentioned and the nonstandard but widely supported <nobr> markup. Using
Unicode control characters would be the theoretically correct way but does
not work well.

Unicode line breaking rules really permit a break between "]" and a letter,
even if no space intervenes. But what matters is really how browsers behave.
Their behavior has just tangential connection with Unicode rules. Note that
HTML specifications do _not_ require Unicode conformance.