    I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
    word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

    fuli open
    fuli open, May 9, 2007

  2. fuli open

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    fuli open <> wrote:

    > When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
    > quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
    > the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
    > treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
    > end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
    > line. So this word would become:
    >
    > "[T] (end of first line)
    > his" (beginning of next line)
    >
    > I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
    > word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.
    >
    > fuli open

    You could try

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 9, 2007

  3. fuli open

    fuli open Guest

    On May 8, 10:30 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > fuli open <> wrote:
    >
    > > When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
    > > quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
    > > the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
    > > treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
    > > end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
    > > line. So this word would become:

    > > "[T] (end of first line)
    > > his" (beginning of next line)

    > > I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
    > > word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

    > > fuli open

    > You could try

    > --
    > dorayme

    It works well. Thanks a lot for the prompt help.

    fuli open
    fuli open, May 9, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    fuli open <> wrote:

    > When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
    > quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
    > the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
    > treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
    > end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
    > line. So this word would become:
    >
    > "[T] (end of first line)
    > his" (beginning of next line)
    >
    > I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
    > word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

    You might try inserting Unicode character 0x2060, the word joiner:
    http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr14/#WJ

    My guess is that browser support is spotty, but I don't really know.

    Good luck

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Nikita the Spider, May 9, 2007
  5. fuli open wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:

    > It works well.

    Indeed, though frankly I think you're going a bit over the top by
    bracketing a simple change of case.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/
    Toby A Inkster, May 9, 2007
  6. fuli open wrote:
    > When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
    > quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
    > the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
    > treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
    > end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
    > line. So this word would become:
    >
    > "[T] (end of first line)
    > his" (beginning of next line)
    >
    > I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
    > word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

    Somehow I think you are not giving us all the necessary information,
    like a *url*? Are yu just putting brackets [] around the character or
    does [] represent something less? A browser will typically not wrap
    within a word and if there are no spaces between the [] and the rest of
    the word it should not wrap.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 9, 2007
  7. fuli open

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-05-09, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:
    > fuli open wrote:
    >> When quoting an author, I have to do something like: "[T]his is a
    >> quotation . . .' in one of my web pages. The problem is that when
    >> the quotation happens to be at the end of a line, the browser does not
    >> treat the [T]his as a whole word. On my page, the [T] remains at the
    >> end of a line, but the 'his' is wrapped to the beginning of next
    >> line. So this word would become:
    >>
    >> "[T] (end of first line)
    >> his" (beginning of next line)
    >>
    >> I wonder how to make the letters and symbols stay together as a whole
    >> word on web page for words such as this? Thanks for help.

    > Somehow I think you are not giving us all the necessary information,
    > like a *url*? Are yu just putting brackets [] around the character or
    > does [] represent something less? A browser will typically not wrap
    > within a word and if there are no spaces between the [] and the rest of
    > the word it should not wrap.

    I think you can break between ] and a Roman character without a space.
    It's all done with Unicode breaking classes (or should be).

    See http://unicode.org/reports/tr14/

    Also the second link in a Google search for that:

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/unicode/linebr.html
    Ben C, May 9, 2007
  8. fuli open

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > fuli open wrote:
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >> It works well.

    > Indeed, though frankly I think you're going a bit over the top by
    > bracketing a simple change of case.

    I disagree. In an informal setting (e.g. a blog), I don't mind small
    changes like case or spelling corrections to go unbracketed, but in a
    formal setting (e.g. an online academic paper), all changes should be
    denoted. I never ran into the wordwrapping problem mentioned above,
    because when I changed the case, I just bracked the whole word, e.g.
    "[This]"

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, May 9, 2007
  9. Scripsit Oliver Wong:

    > In an informal setting (e.g. a blog), I don't mind
    > small changes like case or spelling corrections to go unbracketed,
    > but in a formal setting (e.g. an online academic paper), all changes
    > should be denoted.

    That's a matter of convention, and indicating changes of letter case belongs
    to a particular formal or "legalese" quotation style in English. It's
    sometimes seen in other languages as well, probably due to influence of the
    English practice, but it looks rather ridiculous and odd outside its
    established scope of use. The Chicago Manual of Style presents case changes
    (for contextual reasons) as permissible (see clause 11.8) but mentions
    another, more rigorous usage "appropriate to legal writing and textual
    commentary".

    > I never ran into the wordwrapping problem
    > mentioned above, because when I changed the case, I just bracked the
    > whole word, e.g. "[This]"

    That's possible but slightly misleading, since it suggests that the entire
    word has been changed or added.

    Regarding the word wrapping problem, it exists in some browsers, including
    IE, and the practical cures are the CSS property shite-space that has been
    mentioned and the nonstandard but widely supported <nobr> markup. Using
    Unicode control characters would be the theoretically correct way but does
    not work well.

    Unicode line breaking rules really permit a break between "]" and a letter,
    even if no space intervenes. But what matters is really how browsers behave.
    Their behavior has just tangential connection with Unicode rules. Note that
    HTML specifications do _not_ require Unicode conformance.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, May 9, 2007