making my app multi-lingual

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by MattB, May 3, 2005.

  1. MattB

    MattB Guest

    I have a web application that I distribute with only the aspx (and other
    asp_ files) but no .vb files and a compiled /bin folder. The clients
    then customize visual elements on those pages to make it look how they
    want (as much as this makes possible anyway), but I can maintain all the
    logic in the compiled code. Although less than perfect this approach
    generally works.

    I now have a client in Canada who wants to run two copies of my web
    application, one in English and one in French. I've identified a bunch
    of places where I have hard-coded English somewhere in the vb and am
    trying to address them all by moving as much wording as possible into
    the page so it can be edited.

    One problem I've run across that I don't know how to handle is that of
    dates. I use the asp.net calendar control on one page and have a label
    displaying the selected date like this:

    lblStartDate.Text = calStartDate.SelectedDate.ToLongDateString

    I was figuring that LongDateString would be dictated by the regional
    settings of the web server. My problem is they want to have an English
    set and a French set on the same server, so I need to come up with
    another solution.

    Of course the calendar it's self is another issue that could hopefully
    use the same solution if there is one.

    Could I somehow programmitally set the region and language so I could
    run two sets in different "regions" on the same server?

    Any suggestions? Thanks!

    Matt

    PS - I have thought of a virtual server but prefer something with less
    configuration for the client if possible.

    MattB, May 3, 2005

  2. MattB

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Matt:
    Read
    http://openmymind.net/index.aspx?documentId=3
    and
    http://openmymind.net/index.aspx?documentId=4

    for everything you'll possibly have to know :)

    Cheers,
    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials