    if this would be the optimal process to take.

    Any help is much appreciated.

    Chris
    Chris Lieb, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Chris Lieb

    Mark Schupp Guest

    If you are building the original document why don't you just build a PDF?
    There are a number of components available to help.See
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2207. If you have to have the LaTeX format
    then maybe build them in parallel?

    --
    --Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Nov 15, 2005

  3. Chris Lieb

    Chris Lieb Guest

    Thanks, but I don't have any money allocated for this project, so all
    of the componenets on that page are ruled out. I won't be able to get
    the free license for ABCpdf because this is for an internal website.

    When transforming the source to PDF, the jobs have to be run serially
    because some features that are in the LaTeX require a second run
    through the program to be implemented. For instance, the first time
    through, the program records how many pages of output are produced.
    The second time through, it puts that number in the document.

    Right now I am having a little trouble getting the program to run
    through an ASP script. It always hangs on me. I am considering
    writing straight PDF (not looking like fun) if this doesn't work out.

    Chris
    Chris Lieb, Nov 15, 2005
  4. "Chris Lieb" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are any IIS components out there that run on
    > IIS 5.0 that will convert LaTeX to PDF? I have written a script in ASP
    > that produces the LaTeX document, but am unsure of how to go about
    > converting it to PDF and delivering it to the client.
    >
    > If you don't know of one, do you have any idea of how I might implement
    > such a transform? I would have to use a WshShell to run pdflatex on
    > the source twice before I could deliver the PDF to the user. However,
    > pdflatex outputs a PDF, so I would have to redirect the client to the
    > PDF, and then somehow come along later and clean it up. I'm not sure
    > if this would be the optimal process to take.
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

    Are you using MiKTeX? If so it comes with pdfTeX. Here's the documentation:
    http://www.miktex.org/manual/pdftex.html

    pdfTeX also available separately here:
    http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/
    Chris Hohmann, Nov 15, 2005
  5. Maybe http://www.aspxnet.it/public/default.asp is something for you.
    It creates PDF files without the need for an installed component.

    Regards,
    --
    Marja de Vroed

    Marja Ribbers-de Vroed, Nov 16, 2005
  6. Chris Lieb

    Chris Lieb Guest

    That is the solution that I ended up setteling on. The hardest part
    was to get ASP to execute pdfLaTeX without hanging. My boss was
    starting to get mad at me for having the development server rebooted so
    many times to make ASP work again. Ends up that you have to use a
    bunch of command line switches to get it to cooperate with ASP so that
    the page is displayed without the page load timing out, even when there
    is an error in the document creation.

    Chris
    Chris Lieb, Nov 18, 2005
  7. "Chris Lieb" <> wrote in message
    > That is the solution that I ended up setteling on. The hardest part
    > was to get ASP to execute pdfLaTeX without hanging. My boss was
    > starting to get mad at me for having the development server rebooted so
    > many times to make ASP work again. Ends up that you have to use a
    > bunch of command line switches to get it to cooperate with ASP so that
    > the page is displayed without the page load timing out, even when there
    > is an error in the document creation.
    >
    > Chris

    You may be interested in an open-source project called PDFCreator. It may be
    more stable and/or more efficient at generating PDF files. I have no
    first-hand experience with the program, but a colleague of mine recommends
    it highly. Here's a link:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
    Chris Hohmann, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Chris Lieb

    Chris Lieb Guest

    Chris Lieb wrote:
    > That is the solution that I ended up setteling on. The hardest part
    > was to get ASP to execute pdfLaTeX without hanging. My boss was
    > starting to get mad at me for having the development server rebooted so
    > many times to make ASP work again. Ends up that you have to use a
    > bunch of command line switches to get it to cooperate with ASP so that
    > the page is displayed without the page load timing out, even when there
    > is an error in the document creation.

    Well, I was bored today, so I went ahead and made an ASP component to
    take care of the process for me. I must admit that it is rather
    primitive, but it fits my needs very well. If you are interested in
    trying it out, go ahead and say so and I will send you the DLL along
    with the source and supporting files. It requires an installation of
    MiKTeX on your computer, but it could be easily extended to handle
    another distribution. If you do make changes, please notify me since I
    might find the modifications useful.

    Chris Lieb
    Chris Lieb, Dec 1, 2005