    is it possible to make some kind of executeble file that have java-runtime
    inside?

    thx!

    qwertyuiop20_84, Feb 27, 2005

  2. qwertyuiop20_84

    Rhino Guest

    "qwertyuiop20_84" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a program that I want people to be able to run from a cd that I

    have
    > burned for them.
    >
    > I don't want them to be able to read the source-code

    You can ensure that by not giving them the source-code in the first place
    ;-) Or by giving it to them in an obfuscated form. There is nothing about
    Java that forces you to distribute the source code; in fact, most times you
    won't distribute the source code, only the class files and supporting files
    like ResourceBundles, gifs, jpgs, etc.

    > and it should be
    > runed by a executeble file like exe or something.
    >
    > is this possible without any form of java-runtime and if so how do I do
    > that?

    If it is possible, I don't know about it. *Something* has to do the work of
    the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) so, unless your users already have a JVM on
    their machines, a runtime has to be there for your program to run.

    > also if it's not possible to run java programs without any form of
    > java-runtime, how do I make a program so that people without java-runtime
    > can run the file without thinking about how to get java-runtime?

    Have you looked at Java Web Start? It enables users to run Java applications
    and applets without having to distribute a runtime. Web Start still has to
    get a runtime but it happens more-or-less automatically, much the way a
    browser will install the Java plugin to enable applets to run. There is a
    bit of a pause the first time you run the program while the runtime is
    downloaded but then the program will run. On subsequent executions of the
    program, the runtime does not need to be downloaded and there is no pause
    before the program starts.

    You can find out more about Java Web Start here:
    http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/index.jsp

    > is it possible to make some kind of executeble file that have java-runtime
    > inside?

    It depends on what you mean when you say "inside". If you mean that it is
    initially in your install files somewhere and then gets automatically
    installed somewhere outside the install files during the installation
    process, then surely the answer is yes. I can't see any reason - except
    possibly legal ones to do with copyright - that you can't distribute the
    runtime on your CD and then have an installer program set it up for your
    user.

    If you mean that it can never be unpacked from the original install files,
    I'm not sure but I suspect not.

    Rhino

    Rhino, Feb 27, 2005

  3. qwertyuiop20_84

    Hugo Pragt Guest

    Hi qwertyuiop20_84,

    There are programs 'out there' that turn your java class into an exe file.
    I'd call that obfusticated :)

    Don't ask me where to find those though, haven't seen them for a while (was
    not looking either)

    Hugo

    Hugo Pragt, Feb 28, 2005
  4. qwertyuiop20_84

    FiSHer Guest

    So... there is a cool installer/launcher for java applications. It is
    named "Install anywhere". With it you can build *.exe files. They will
    CONTAIN jre of desired version and for desired platform.

    FiSHer, Feb 28, 2005
  5. FiSHer

    thx...do you know where I can find a
    "Install anywhere" program?

    it sounds like the one I'm looking for...

    thx

    qwertyuiop20_84, Mar 1, 2005