    are more then welcomed.

    --
    Marin

    Marin Brkic, Sep 24, 2008

  2. Marin Brkic

    Guest

    On Sep 24, 9:17 am, Marin Brkic <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:
    > Not commercial distribution, but an academic kind of sorts - giving
    > the exe file to coleagues, so they can use it in their work. Giving
    > .py file is not an option, since due to centralized computer
    > maintenance, they don't (and cannot) have installed python (except the
    > ones that bring their own computer at work, but those are an
    > exception).
    >
    > As far as I know py2exe is the only option which can do such a thing
    > (make exe files from scripts). Is there a way to make those exe files
    > a little smaller (for a small script they easily go up to 5-10 mb).
    >
    > Has anyone had a situation like this ? All your inputs and suggestions
    > are more then welcomed.
    >
    > --
    > Marin

    If you don't create a monolithic EXE, then most of the extra files
    (that make up the bulk of the size) can be shared between other
    converted scripts. That is, if you convert foo.py, and send the bundle
    to your colleague, then convert bar.py, you only need to send bar.exe,
    and it will run fine if they execute it in the same directory that has
    all the DLLs you sent with foo.exe.

    Another option might be to encourage them to download Portable Python,
    which doesn't need to be installed.

    Mark Sherry

    , Sep 24, 2008

  3. On Sep 24, 8:17 am, Marin Brkic <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:
    > Not commercial distribution, but an academic kind of sorts - giving
    > the exe file to coleagues, so they can use it in their work. Giving
    > .py file is not an option, since due to centralized computer
    > maintenance, they don't (and cannot) have installed python (except the
    > ones that bring their own computer at work, but those are an
    > exception).
    >
    > As far as I know py2exe is the only option which can do such a thing
    > (make exe files from scripts). Is there a way to make those exe files
    > a little smaller (for a small script they easily go up to 5-10 mb).
    >
    > Has anyone had a situation like this ? All your inputs and suggestions
    > are more then welcomed.
    >
    > --
    > Marin

    It ends up being so large because of the dlls that are needed. There
    are other ways to distribute programs listed here:

    http://www.freehackers.org/Packaging_a_python_program

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Sep 24, 2008
  4. Marin Brkic

    Marin Brkic Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:32:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >If you don't create a monolithic EXE, then most of the extra files
    >(that make up the bulk of the size) can be shared between other
    >converted scripts. That is, if you convert foo.py, and send the bundle
    >to your colleague, then convert bar.py, you only need to send bar.exe,
    >and it will run fine if they execute it in the same directory that has
    >all the DLLs you sent with foo.exe.
    >
    >Another option might be to encourage them to download Portable Python,
    >which doesn't need to be installed.

    This is an interesting suggestion. I didn't know there was a portable
    version of python. I will look into it - could just turn out to be the
    perfect solution to this (after all, it would be even simpler if they
    could send/receive just .py script).

    Thank you.

    --
    Marin

    Marin Brkic, Sep 24, 2008
  5. Marin Brkic

    sturlamolden Guest

    On Sep 24, 3:17 pm, Marin Brkic <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:

    > Has anyone had a situation like this ? All your inputs and suggestions
    > are more then welcomed.

    Send them the .py file and confirm that it does work. The lack of
    Python can be blamed on the incompetent BOFH. Chances are the
    situation will change when the BOFH gets 20 requests for Python a
    day.

    sturlamolden, Sep 24, 2008
  6. Marin Brkic

    Marin Brkic Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:50:56 -0700 (PDT), sturlamolden
    <> wrote:

    >On Sep 24, 3:17 pm, Marin Brkic <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone had a situation like this ? All your inputs and suggestions
    >> are more then welcomed.

    >Send them the .py file and confirm that it does work. The lack of
    >Python can be blamed on the incompetent BOFH. Chances are the
    >situation will change when the BOFH gets 20 requests for Python a
    >day.

    Yes, I agree. But in large institutions, where system engineers
    maintain a lot of computers there usually exists a policy on what is
    installed on computers and what is not. And currently python is not.
    And it's not gonna change anytime soon since only few of us are using
    it (2 of us use it on personal laptops, to others we send exe files).

    --
    Marin

    Marin Brkic, Sep 25, 2008
  7. Marin Brkic

    Larry Bates Guest

    Marin Brkic wrote:
    > Not commercial distribution, but an academic kind of sorts - giving
    > the exe file to coleagues, so they can use it in their work. Giving
    > .py file is not an option, since due to centralized computer
    > maintenance, they don't (and cannot) have installed python (except the
    > ones that bring their own computer at work, but those are an
    > exception).
    >
    > As far as I know py2exe is the only option which can do such a thing
    > (make exe files from scripts). Is there a way to make those exe files
    > a little smaller (for a small script they easily go up to 5-10 mb).
    >
    > Has anyone had a situation like this ? All your inputs and suggestions
    > are more then welcomed.
    >
    > --
    > Marin

    Times have changed, 5-10Mb is REALLY small. Flash drives hold 4000-8000Mb
    for less than $20 and standard hard drives are now 500Gb. IMHO you are
    concerned about a problem that doesn't actually exist.

    -Larry

    Larry Bates, Sep 25, 2008