Making the same button do client side javascript and server side vbscript?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by COHENMARVIN, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. COHENMARVIN

    COHENMARVIN Guest

    I am working on an application where the user enters info into a
    multiline textbox. The info is Stylesheet tags that he wants web pages
    to use. Basically he would be entering a stylesheet into the textbox,
    something like:
    ================
    ..link_header{color: #FFFFFF; font-size: 9pt; text-decoration:none;
    font-family: Arial; font-weight: bold;}
    ===================
    Then he clicks a PREVIEW button, and a new window pops open with a
    sample webpage formatted using the stylesheet he entered into the
    textbox. If he is satisfied with that page, he clicks a SAVE button on
    the original page.
    Now if this were all in asp.net, it would be easy. I could just
    capture the stylesheet info, write to a file, and have the new webpage
    refer to that file. But the problem comes in opening a new window. It
    seems that ASP.NET can't open a new browser window - only client side
    javascript can do that. So I would need to first capture the
    stylesheet info that the user entered, using asp.net, and only then
    open a new window. Is that impossible?
    COHENMARVIN, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Marvin,

    Enter the style sheet information, click the button, in the button's click
    event save the style sheet information wherever you need to to access it
    again be that a database, session variable, etc.

    Then also in the button's click event use the RegisterStartupScript method
    to place a script on the page at postback that will open the new window:

    Page.RegisterStartupScript("OpenWindow", "<script
    language='javascript'>window.open('PreviewPage.aspx',
    'PreviewWindow');</script>")

    RegisterStartupScript sets the javascript to run when the page is loaded
    into the client browser. So the window will open when the postback is
    completed.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Oct 19, 2005

  3. COHENMARVIN

    Jason Kester Guest

    Just use window.open() on the client. It will hand you back a
    reference to the window it opens that you can use to communicate with
    that window. The window will also have a reference to its Parent.

    You'll have to parse the stylesheet and set the style properties by
    hand. No easy task, but certainly doable. This part I know, because I
    actually did this for a client last week.

    ASP.NET never comes into play, unless you want it to. If so, scrap the
    above and just write the .css text straight into your preview.aspx
    page.

    Jason Kester
    Expat Software Consulting Services
    http://www.expatsoftware.com/

    ---
    Get your own Travel Blog, with itinerary maps and photos!
    http://www.blogabond.com/
    Jason Kester, Oct 20, 2005