    the memory footprint within a program?

    Thanks
    Amit

    Amit Gupta, Nov 8, 2007

  2. Amit Gupta

    Ian Collins Guest

    Amit Gupta wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > I am not sure if this is the right forum, however if you know the
    > answer, please post.
    >
    > What is the alternative to mallinfo, for 64bit systems, for getting
    > the memory footprint within a program?

    Have you checked your documentation or man pages? mallinfo() isn't
    standard, so you will have to check your specific version.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Amit Gupta

    Amit Gupta Guest

    On Nov 8, 11:49 am, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    > Amit Gupta wrote:
    > > Greetings

    > > I am not sure if this is the right forum, however if you know the
    > > answer, please post.

    > > What is the alternative to mallinfo, for 64bit systems, for getting
    > > the memory footprint within a program?

    > Have you checked your documentation or man pages? mallinfo() isn't
    > standard, so you will have to check your specific version.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    Sorry, but what do you mean, check your specific version?

    Amit Gupta, Nov 8, 2007
  4. On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:54:10 -0000, in comp.lang.c , Amit Gupta
    <> wrote:

    >On Nov 8, 11:49 am, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    >> Amit Gupta wrote:
    >> > Greetings

    >> > I am not sure if this is the right forum, however if you know the
    >> > answer, please post.

    >> > What is the alternative to mallinfo, for 64bit systems, for getting
    >> > the memory footprint within a program?

    >> Have you checked your documentation or man pages? mallinfo() isn't
    >> standard, so you will have to check your specific version.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ian Collins.

    >Sorry, but what do you mean, check your specific version?

    He means that since mallinfo() isn't standardised, each platform may
    implement it differently. Yo uneed to read the manpages for your
    version to determine what it does, and then probably ask in
    comp.unix.programmer for advice.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:54:10 -0000, in comp.lang.c , Amit Gupta
    > <> wrote:

    [...]
    >>Sorry, but what do you mean, check your specific version?

    > He means that since mallinfo() isn't standardised, each platform may
    > implement it differently. Yo uneed to read the manpages for your
    > version to determine what it does, and then probably ask in
    > comp.unix.programmer for advice.

    He means that since mallinfo() isn't defined by the C standard, it may
    not exist at all on your system. It's also possible that different
    systems could have functions with the same name that do different
    things. The documentation for your OS, or for your compiler, or for
    your runtime library is the first place to look. If that fails, try a
    newsgroup that deals with your system; if you're on a Unix-like
    system, that would be comp.unix.programmer.

    (mallinfo() isn't defined by POSIX, but it's part of the GNU libc.)

    Keith Thompson, Nov 9, 2007