Manage FORM SELECT with multiple selections

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Stian, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Stian

    Stian Guest

    Hi!

    I have made a form with two SELECT LIST-boxes where the first is dynmically
    filled when you enter the page, and then one can select multiple options
    from the list and move across to the other box using javascript. Every
    option in the list has an integer value.

    The FORM is submitted with the POST method and received on an ASP page. I
    then want to manage the selected options one by one. How can I separate
    them?

    It currently looks like this (with four selections from the box).
    1, 5, 9, 10

    I tried to manage this as a string, but was told that it was not a string.
    Type mismatch: '[string: "1, 5, 9, 10"]'

    Can anyone help med with some code that can separate these options for
    further work?

    Regards, Stian
    Stian, Sep 2, 2004

  2. "Stian" <> wrote:

    > I have made a form with two SELECT LIST-boxes where the first is
    > dynmically filled when you enter the page, and then one can select
    > multiple options from the list and move across to the other box using
    > javascript.

    And what happens when JavaScript code is not executed?

    > It currently looks like this (with four selections from the box).
    > 1, 5, 9, 10

    Well, just deal with it.

    > I tried to manage this as a string, but was told that it was not a
    > string. Type mismatch: '[string: "1, 5, 9, 10"]'

    That's an ASP problem then. Try asking in an ASP group, and give a hint
    about what you are actually doing, by revealing a piece of code. Posting
    the URL wouldn't hurt either.

    But regarding user interfaces, multiple selections in <select> menus
    are generally awkward, inferior to sets of checkboxes. At least you
    should specify a SIZE parameter value that equals the number of options.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Stian

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:33:00 +0200, Stian <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > Can anyone help med with some code that can separate these options for
    > further work?

    Trivial in most programming languages - what is your preferred flavour?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Sep 3, 2004