Managed Extensions and XML question

BCC

Hi,

I have a need to read in a very simple xml file and initialized some objects
from the data. I was reading on the ms website that .net contains its own
XML parser, and it sounds pretty good for what I need.

However, to use the code, it looks like I need to compile with managed
extensions. Since my project does not use managed extensions, I am not sure
what the ramifications are of using them in regards to performance.

So two real questions:
1. What is the performance hit or improvement in using managed extensions?
2. If I wish to use code that uses the managed extension syntax, is it
possible to compile this code
without using managed extensions?

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated!

Thanks,
Bryan

Victor Bazarov

BCC said:
I have a need to read in a very simple xml file and initialized some
objects from the data. I was reading on the ms website that .net contains
its own XML parser, and it sounds pretty good for what I need.

However, to use the code, it looks like I need to compile with managed
extensions. Since my project does not use managed extensions, I am not
sure what the ramifications are of using them in regards to performance.

So two real questions:
1. What is the performance hit or improvement in using managed
extensions?
2. If I wish to use code that uses the managed extension syntax, is it
possible to compile this code
without using managed extensions?

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated!

Try microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc newsgroup. Here we talk Standard
C++ language _only_, and it does not have "managed extensions". Yet.
Luckily.

red floyd

BCC said:
Hi,

I have a need to read in a very simple xml file and initialized some objects
from the data. I was reading on the ms website that .net contains its own
XML parser, and it sounds pretty good for what I need.

However, to use the code, it looks like I need to compile with managed
extensions. Since my project does not use managed extensions, I am not sure
what the ramifications are of using them in regards to performance.

So two real questions:
1. What is the performance hit or improvement in using managed extensions?
2. If I wish to use code that uses the managed extension syntax, is it
possible to compile this code
without using managed extensions?

Go to xml.apache.org and look at Xerces.