Management of a user license

Philippe RAMON

I've created a Java software, and I want to sell user licenses to my
customers.
This software has been developped on Sun, but it will be available for any
Unix environment.

The question is: how can I install user licenses?
- check the machine the soft is installed on
- check the period of time where the license is valid

Can someone help?
Thanks.

Gerbrand van Dieijen

I've created a Java software, and I want to sell user licenses to my
customers.
This software has been developped on Sun, but it will be available for any
Unix environment.

The question is: how can I install user licenses?
- check the machine the soft is installed on
- check the period of time where the license is valid

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I searched the web for licencesoftware,
I found:
- http://members.chello.at/stefan-schneider/JavaLicenseKit.html
- http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/chainkey/
- http://www.agilis-sw.com/ezlm/

The last one (Easy Licencer) seems to do everything I want,
unfortunately it's quite expensive, you have to pay per licence.

I'm quite interested if you found anything else too!

Greetings,

Mark Preston

I've created a Java software, and I want to sell user licenses to my
customers.
This software has been developped on Sun, but it will be available for any
Unix environment.

The question is: how can I install user licenses?
- check the machine the soft is installed on
- check the period of time where the license is valid

Can someone help?
You will hate this, but the best way to embed security is to start
with that and then do the application around it. Licence management is
quite frankly a bitch.

If you have access to the VSJ journal - free to members of the IAP but
paid for by others - then they have recently had an article about this
very subject that would be of far more use than any ng answer can be.
I would strongly advise you to get hold of a copy.

Phil...

I don't know what I'm talking about but I did visit
a university site that has a bunch of free pages and stuff
but there are also pages that are only for students or
staff and they regulate access via the Kerberos
mechanism. Can you issue certificates to individual
users with a lifetime of your choosing?

Philippe Ramon

Thanks Gerbrand,

The Easy Licenser seems to be a good product.
About the price, paying 10 x 15$ to get a license manager for a volume of 10
licenses is expensive or not depending on what you sell.
For what I want to sell, it is not too much expensive.

I'm going to download it, and do some tests with it.

Philippe.

Gerbrand van Dieijen

You will hate this, but the best way to embed security is to start
with that and then do the application around it. Licence management is
quite frankly a bitch.

Are you sure that's not overkill for installing licence management in
the application?
Licence management application should be as non-intrusive as possible.

For writing licence management software itself, the statement seems
be valid.