Managing a software project

Discussion in 'Java' started by Philipp, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. Philipp

    Philipp Guest

    Hello,

    I want to learn about software management methods. I guess that most
    contributors to this group are full time developers and are confronted
    to some sort of software management. Would you share your knowledge?

    I'm interested to know how different companies manage their software
    projects. I read about RUP (from IBM Rational) and XP, there are mixes
    like AUP (Agile Unified Process). I don't have the experience to know
    which methods work.

    What management tools do you use in your company, to structure a
    software project? What size are the teams working on one project? How
    often do you make meetings to define new objectives for the different
    developers? Do you often use/create artifacts. Are specs written and
    reviewed or adapted when a problem arises? How would a change in specs
    be communicated?

    Would you recommend your companie's way of doing things?
    Which methods should I be familiar with, which should I learn? (any
    book refs are welcome)

    Thanks for your input.
    Phil

    Philipp, Nov 12, 2008

  2. Philipp

    Jason Cavett Guest

    On Nov 12, 11:50 am, Philipp <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to learn about software management methods. I guess that most
    > contributors to this group are full time developers and are confronted
    > to some sort of software management. Would you share your knowledge?
    >
    > I'm interested to know how different companies manage their software
    > projects. I read about RUP (from IBM Rational) and XP, there are mixes
    > like AUP (Agile Unified Process). I don't have the experience to know
    > which methods work.
    >
    > What management tools do you use in your company, to structure a
    > software project? What size are the teams working on one project? How
    > often do you make meetings to define new objectives for the different
    > developers? Do you often use/create artifacts. Are specs written and
    > reviewed or adapted when a problem arises? How would a change in specs
    > be communicated?
    >
    > Would you recommend your companie's way of doing things?
    > Which methods should I be familiar with, which should I learn? (any
    > book refs are welcome)
    >
    > Thanks for your input.
    > Phil

    1. Keep your team consistent! Developing software is a learning
    process. The software itself is just a side-artifact. If you are
    constantly moving people around on the project (or, worse, on and off
    a team), you will lose a lot of knowledge and time.

    2. If your team is small (less than 10 people), a quick status meeting
    every day is great. But when I say quick, I mean QUICK. 15 minutes
    tops. Enforce it also. Don't let people prattle on too long.

    3. If you're a manager, do not hound your team. Trust that they will
    make good decisions. Bothering them constantly, or having frequent,
    unnecessary meetings will only increase the time that they are not
    spending on the project.

    4. Look for results. If your team is producing, excellent. If not,
    talk to them and find out where they're having trouble. They may have
    their own suggestions. (However, do not tolerate whining. That'll
    just drag the rest of the team down.)

    I'm not extremely experienced with project management, but these are
    four things that I have found to be effective.

    Hope that helps.

    Jason Cavett, Nov 12, 2008