managing documents stored in database

Dariusz Tomon

Hello,

I have to design and develop web application (ASP.NET 2.0). The main point
of it will be managing documents stored into database (SQL Server 2005).
Advice me please how can I do it.
What is the best field type to store documents (Word, Excel, PDF). Maybe new
varbinary(max)? -maybe other.
How can I perform inserting, deleting, editing etc. documents in database
via ASP.NET 2.0 page.
What web control should be used (maybe upload file?). And what code behind
could be invoked to perform these tasks.

Best Regards

Darek T.

dtarczynski

Hello,

I have to design and develop web application (ASP.NET 2.0). The main point
of it will be managing documents stored into database (SQL Server 2005).
Advice me please how can I do it.
What is the best field type to store documents (Word, Excel, PDF). Maybe new
varbinary(max)? -maybe other.
How can I perform inserting, deleting, editing etc. documents in database
via ASP.NET 2.0 page.
What web control should be used (maybe upload file?). And what code behind
could be invoked to perform these tasks.

Best Regards

Darek T.

Hi
You can use BLOB fields for storing data. But if you have to modify
data you should get it from database to something like MemoryStream
then change and put it to database. I thing uploading files to
directories (and editing etc) should be simplier.

Regards
Dariusz Tarczynski