    Thanks,

    Necleto

    , Jan 22, 2006

  2. Rhino Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I send a large number of emails using javamail. My problem is that my
    > provider limits the number of emails I can send out per minute per
    > session. On top of that, it does not allow me to use another SMTP
    > server than its own.
    >
    > My first way to deal with that has been to include a sleep in my
    > sending loop in order to respect their quota (20 mails per minute).
    >
    > But I now would like to explore faster ways to send emails out.
    >
    > One of my idea was to close the session and reopen a new one to see if
    > that would be accepted by my provider server. But I don't see that
    > being a possilbe with javamail. Am I wrong?
    >
    > Can you come up with other ideas?
    >
    > Has anyone of you guys had to deal with such an issue before?

    Do you really send out more than 20 emails a minute? Are they legitimate
    emails or spam? I'm having trouble picturing a need to send more than 20
    emails a minute unless you are a spammer, in which case I certainly wouldn't
    help you because there is already too much spam in the world.

    Rhino

    Rhino, Jan 22, 2006

    Hi Rhino,

    I totally understand your concerns, and I will explain a bit more my
    case.

    I'm running a web site that delivers stock advice. Visitors that choose
    to register are receiving our advice every day by email.

    That's why I need to send a huge bacth of emails once a day and sending
    them faster than 20 per minute will really help.

    Thanks for your help.

    Necleto

    , Jan 22, 2006
  4. Roedy Green Guest

    On 22 Jan 2006 10:39:03 -0800, wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >I send a large number of emails using javamail. My problem is that my
    >provider limits the number of emails I can send out per minute per
    >session. On top of that, it does not allow me to use another SMTP
    >server than its own.

    I just switched IAPs and they are blocking my SMTP access to my
    mailserver hosted by a different ISP.

    See http://mindprod.com/joloss/iap.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.htm
    if you are not familiar with those terms.

    Here are two ways to get around them stopping your from using someone
    else's mail server.

    1. Set up your mailserver to accept some other port besides 25. This
    mailserver cannot live in the IAP with blocks since it in turn would
    be blocked from distributing mail to port 25 on other machines.

    2. Run your Java program on some other host on a "Spam-friendly iap".
    FTP your list to it, and let it rip.

    I wrote a program called the Bulk Emailer that used Javamail to send
    bulk emails. It does a lot of checking of addresses to avoid swamping
    the sender with bounces. One problem I ran into was email hosts that
    limited the size of each JavaMail batch and also the total number of
    emails you could send per day. The per day limit was a bear. The
    main reason the charities got me to write the program was Eudora had a
    fairly low limit on thi size of its email batches.

    You can get around some limits running your own local mail server, but
    then you bang into their port 25 blocking.

    See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#BULK

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jan 22, 2006
  5. Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:11:33 -0500, "Rhino"
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    quoted someone who said :

    >Are they legitimate
    >emails or spam? I'm having trouble picturing a need to send more than 20
    >emails a minute unless you are a spammer, in which case I certainly wouldn't
    >help you because there is already too much spam in the world.

    Bulk email is spam only if people don't request it. Consider a
    listserve, a church or charity mailing, a current events notice, a
    political party mailing, wherever you have signed up to be notified of
    something.

    I figure bulk mail should have to be digitally signed so it is easy to
    reject it or accept it accurately.

    see http://mindprod.com/projects/mailreadernewsreader.html

    The spam driving me most nuts is the Paypal and Amazon spoofing. I
    can't tell the spam filter to toss it, since then I will also toss
    legit messages. It is only a matter of time until general purpose
    spam uses the same trick.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jan 22, 2006