    Does anybody have examples (source code or links) of best practices for
    managing user rights, roles, etc using SQL Server?

    Thanks in advance

    Angel Romero, Sep 25, 2006

  2. Angel Romero

    offwhite Guest

    I created some controls to manage the users and roles as a part of the
    Membership and Role providers in ASP.NET 2.0.

    http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/2006/09/15/free-controls-for-user-and-roles-management/

    But for best practices, that all depends on your situation. The users
    and roles model built into ASP.NET 2.0 allows you to assign users to
    roles which is very basic yet very powerful. The overriding best
    practice here is to keep it simple.

    An interesting thing you can do with the the CreateUserWizard control,
    is to handle the CreatedUser event to immediately add them to a role.
    If this is for a commerce site and you have a page which allows users
    to create user accounts, it would make sense to immediately add them to
    the Customers role. That is a useful way to mark all users created
    while they were customers.

    Brennan Stehling

    offwhite, Sep 25, 2006