Managing user rights

Angel Romero

Hi everybody

Does anybody have examples (source code or links) of best practices for
managing user rights, roles, etc using SQL Server?

Thanks in advance

offwhite

I created some controls to manage the users and roles as a part of the
Membership and Role providers in ASP.NET 2.0.

http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/2006/09/15/free-controls-for-user-and-roles-management/

But for best practices, that all depends on your situation. The users
and roles model built into ASP.NET 2.0 allows you to assign users to
roles which is very basic yet very powerful. The overriding best
practice here is to keep it simple.

An interesting thing you can do with the the CreateUserWizard control,
is to handle the CreatedUser event to immediately add them to a role.
If this is for a commerce site and you have a page which allows users
to create user accounts, it would make sense to immediately add them to
the Customers role. That is a useful way to mark all users created
while they were customers.

Brennan Stehling
http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/