(mandriva,eclipse) extract digits from fixnums

lolveley

hi,

I want to do a basic thing but without succes:
if a=1232, let nb_nb=4 (the number of digits)
for i from 1 to nb_nb, I want the following results:
i=1 => res=1 (first digit of a) and NOT the number 01 (with a zero in
front of the 1)
i=2 => res=2 (same thing)
i=3 => res=3
i=4 => res=2

I tried a few things, like convert the number in array (it seems to keep
the "0" in the result)...

do you have a solution?

olivier.

http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

Robert Schaaf

You could try

a.to_s.split(//).collect {|s| s.to_i}

and extract nb_nb elements.

Bob Schaaf

7

7stud --

Olivier said:
hi,

I want to do a basic thing but without succes:
if a=1232, let nb_nb=4 (the number of digits)
for i from 1 to nb_nb, I want the following results:
i=1 => res=1 (first digit of a) and NOT the number 01 (with a zero in
front of the 1)
i=2 => res=2 (same thing)
i=3 => res=3
i=4 => res=2

I tried a few things, like convert the number in array (it seems to keep
the "0" in the result)...

do you have a solution?

It's not clear to me what you want to do, but maybe this will help:

a=1232
str = a.to_s
p str

--output:--
"1232"

digits = []
str.length.times do |i|
digits << str[i, 1]
end

p digits

--output:--
res=1 (first digit of a) and NOT the number 01

1 and 01 are the same *number*.