Manipulating Datagrid Cells

Guest

I have an ASP .NET web application that changes datagrid cells in the
ItemDataBound event, like changing the Columnspan of a cell to 2 and deleting
the adjacent cell, so that I have two cells merged into one. I was wanting to
do something similar in another part of the program (right after the
DataBind() for the datagrid). Where I could select a particular cell index
and row index and merge two cells of the datagrid.

What is the best approach for this? I've been trying to research it, but
haven't found much info. It seems like inside the ItemDataBound event I'm
handling the control more like an HTML table than a Datagrid control, which
is adding to the confusion of handling this outside of this event.