    tedious and error prone. Does anyone else have this same issue?

    Would be greatful for any help. Thanks!
    , Mar 9, 2007

  2. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We've been doing some hunting online to see how we might be able to
    > change our deployment process for our J2EE applications. Wer have an
    > ANT script which does the build and deployy, but we are specifically
    > wanting to look at manually deploying a set of JSPs on a regular basis
    > (without doing a full build and without taking down the tomcat server
    > we use). We can't seem to find much online describing the way other
    > people patch the live platform with a bunch of new JSP, without having
    > to restart do a full build/deploy and restarting the application
    > server. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any tools that
    > can help with this task?
    >
    > Of course, we could manually drop the individual files up to the live
    > platform one by one in the relevant directories, but that is way too
    > tedious and error prone. Does anyone else have this same issue?
    >
    > Would be greatful for any help. Thanks!

    Tomcat lets you reload an application. Theoretically all you have to do is
    drop the WAR or other resources in the webapps/.

    <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/host.html#Automatic%20Application%20Deployment>

    Why not have Ant automate the task of "manually drop[ping] the individual
    files ... in the relevant directories"? Then it would be neither "tedious" nor
    "error-prone".

    -- lew
    Lew, Mar 9, 2007