Many Links

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Many Links, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Many Links

    Many Links Guest

    Hey!

    I am creating a spot where people can redownload items if
    they have access. I have everything written but the part
    where people actually get to the page due to a huge
    issue. So far there are 96 uniquie combinations of the 8
    items they can download.

    Here is the flow of my system.

    Person creates a login, and in that login there is a spot
    to put in a specific code for the items they need to have
    access to. After that they are sent an email regarding
    login location and login info.

    The login site has all of the verfication to login, but i
    am stuck at how to get the users to the actual page to
    download due to the 94+ combos of items, (and that number
    is only going to grow). Am i just screwed and this is
    impossible without taking a HEAVY hit to the server or do
    i need to find a program that does this?

    Any help be greatly appreciated.

    Many Links, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Many Links

    TomB Guest

    Without more info, I'd suggest creating 3 tables in a database.
    Table1 is the Person table, which contains information about the users.
    Table2 is the Download table, which contains information about the files
    available for download.
    Table3 is a many-to-many join table to connect table1 to table2, it contains
    2 fields.

    tblPeople
    ID int IDENTITY
    Fname varchar(50)
    etc....

    tblDownload
    ID int IDENTITY
    PrettyTitle varchar(50)
    Filename varchar(255)

    tblDownloadsByPeople
    PersonID PK
    DownloadID PK

    So if I'm Person with ID number 1 and I'm allowed to download files 3,8,7
    then the tblDownloadsByPeople would contain

    PersonID DownloadID
    1 3
    1 8
    1 7

    TomB, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Many Links

    MSFT Guest

    Yes, great solution. I also agee with you. We can create the dynamic output
    in the ASP page based on the query result. For example, the options in the
    combo control. The performance is based on your server and database. I
    believe SQL server is suitable for this case.

    Luke

    "Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026?? If not Microsoft strongly advises
    you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
    Security Bulletin MS03-026
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp and/or to
    visit Windows Update at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to install the
    patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help to
    insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

    MSFT, Aug 18, 2003