map iterators interface

brutus

Hi,

I'm trying to define a map-like interface to a container.

My basic problem is that the container is associative,
but values are not stored in pairs internally.
(and as we know, the map value_type must be pair<const Key, T>)
Instead there's a list (vector) of values, and a method
to get key reference.

But I'm ready to increase the values vector to store pairs.
So... Internally, values are actually stored in a vector.
But std::vector can only store pair with non-const types.
Now I have
std::vector<std::pair<Key, T> > m_values;
and
typedef std::pair<const Key, T> value_type;

How do I define the reference type returned from (non-const) iterators?

Trouble invites itself to the iterator dereference operator:

class iterator {
friend class MyContainer;
iterator(const ValueList* values) : m_values(values), current(0) {}
public:
reference operator*() const { ...? }
};

Now, in boost concept checks for Forward Container (which is
required for Pair Associative and most any container types),
I get back-paddled in
reference r = *it;
I see two ways of getting past this:

(i) typedef value_type reference;
and returning a copy of the value - but this has wrong semantics:
assigning to (*iter).second doesn't change the stored value.

(ii) return *reinterpret_cast<value_type*>(&(*m_vector)[current]);
Well, it works, sort of, but aint pretty... or portable?

Any better approach?
Should I define a custom value_type class with desired behaviour?
And if so, doyouknow some similar example I could look at?
(I've no desire to attempt to write a custom vector class that stores
pairs with const members, but perhaps one exists somewhere?)

(Of course I could make it look like anything, ie let iterator point to
mapped_type and add a method key() to access the key, or whatever,
but while it's an option, it's not the point...)

Thanks,

homsan

Neil Cerutti

Hi,

I'm trying to define a map-like interface to a container.

The C++ type system gets in the way here, as you've found out.
[...]

It's not pretty, and it's implementation defined, but in practice
it's portable.
Any better approach?

Do a Google Groups search for "const_cast std::pair" for some
interesting previous discussion of this topic.
Should I define a custom value_type class with desired
behaviour?

std::map, facing the same problem when implementing its insert
function, makes temporaries. You could do that too, though it
seems considerably more horrible to do in the operator* of
an iterator than in map::insert.
And if so, doyouknow some similar example I could look at?

It's a big obstacle to a nice vector-based associative container,
but I don't know of any commonly accepted solution.

brutus

Neil said:
The C++ type system gets in the way here, as you've found out.

A little strange, as this must've been known and understood
at the time of standardization - it seemed a side comment in
one of my books hints that the std::pair template constructor
was defined specifically, or partly, to handle map insertion.

If we could just have (*iter).first() and (*iter).second()
(or any of a host of other notations) there wouldn't be a problem at all...
My basic problem is that the container is associative, but
values are not stored in pairs internally.
(ii) return *reinterpret_cast<value_type*>(&(*m_vector)[current]);
Well, it works, sort of, but aint pretty... or portable?

It's not pretty, and it's implementation defined, but in practice
it's portable.

- so good enough to use at home (if it works), not good enough to
show around.

(well, if I want to be safer but no less sorry, iterators can
of course be immutable. Or change value_type. After all it's not
exactly a map, just an associative damn container.)
Do a Google Groups search for "const_cast std::pair" for some
interesting previous discussion of this topic.

Thanks, that got me some relevant hits!
And apparently a well-known problem. Darn.

I tried a few searches, but didn't find the right phrase
(>50k hits, mostly source files and local copies of SGI docs)
It's a big obstacle to a nice vector-based associative container,
but I don't know of any commonly accepted solution.

So for once I'm not _just_ missing some basic syntax rule,
but have a real problem. Not sure if I like it better out here...

Thanks for your comments!

Bruno