Map n algorithms to m functional units

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Andreas, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Andreas

    Andreas Guest

    Hi!

    I have a question about a VLIW-processor architecture.

    It's quite common that you implement a specific algorithm to a
    VLIW-processor, and I have seen papers about how to extract what
    functional units that, for this specific algorithm, are suitable to
    use in your data path.

    But what if you would like to find the m most suitable functional
    units for a data path that have to implement more than one algorithm?
    This will of cause be dependent on the data dependencies in the
    different algorithms and the operation order (for example, in this
    algorithms mult is often followed up by an acc and so on).

    Some tools, for example A|RT can analyze this form c-code, but this is
    before scheduling, so this analysis can just as easy be done by just
    looking at the code.

    What I'm looking for is a tool (or feature in one of the big tools)
    that after scheduling (loop unrolling and so on) can give me data
    dependencies and the order of operation that have to be done in
    sequence. Or some other help to, in a more scientific way, extract
    what functional units that are suitable in a data path that have to
    perform n different algorithms.

    If anyone has seen any publications in that might help me, please tell
    me!

    Best regards,
    Andreas Lundgren
    Andreas, Dec 2, 2003