map virtual directory to simple name

Loane Sharp

Hi there

I have an ASP.NET web application created in Visual Studio 2005. The
application is installed to a subdirectory in wwwroot, which is mapped in
turn to a virtual directory under the Default Web Site. I would like to load
the application in the browser using a simple name, e.g. http://test rather
than http://localhost/test. Is there a way to map a virtual directory to
such a simple name from within the Visual Studio 2005 web setup project?
Also, is there a way to (a) enable default documents in the Default Web Site
and (b) add a particular .aspx page name and extension to the Default
Documents list (again from within the VS 2005 setup project)?

Best regards
Loane

Kevin Spencer

http://test is a domain (or web site) URL, while http://localhost/test is a
directory name under a different domain (or web site). Assuming that you
have two domains (or web sites), "test" and "localhost," they might
conceivably point to the same virtual directory. It might be possible to use
DNS or the IIS metabase to obtain a list of all domains or web sites on the
server, and it might be possible to map each domain or web site to a virtual
or physical directory, but I have a feeling that you're asking the wrong
question.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer