Map Windows from Unix

Tuhin

Hi Mark,

Here is what I am doing now:

Step 1. Every month, I receive data on CD from another department.
Step 2. Using Windows Explorer, I copy those data in the appropriate
directory on a remote Unix server.
Step 3. Then I connect to the Unix server using Exceed On Demand.
Step 4. Then I run a Perl script (which I wrote on the Unix server) to
generate some reports from those data.

Now, here is what I am trying to do:

I like to do Step 1 while sitting on the Unix server so that when I
will run my Perl script, first it will prompt to copy the data from the
CD. CD ROM is connected with the PC.

Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection dialog
box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then I will
be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.

Thanks for your time.

Tuhin

Andrew DeFaria

Tuhin said:
Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection
dialog box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then
I will be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.
How about setting up Samba such that you can mount shares from the PC to
the Unix server. Then share the CD on the PC and mount it to the Unix
system. Then just point your Perl script to the "mounted from the PC" CD.

Ian Wilson

Tuhin said:
[...]

I'd write a HTML web page containing a form that prompts for the file to
be uploaded and which runs a CGI script to process the uploaded file and
return a web page summarising the results (even if it is just "file OK").

The first part of this is an HTML question not a Perl question so is a
bit off-topic here ...
<form enctype="multipart/form-data"
method=post
action="http://web.example.com/cgi/foo.pl">
File:
<input type=file name=textfile>
</form>
The second part is handling the submitted form in Perl. For which I
suggest CPAN.

Then the user just inserts the CD, opens the web page, clicks the button
and uses the file-chooser to select the file. Job done.

anno4000

Andrew DeFaria said:
-=-=-=-=-=-

Last time I checked this was a free country (well at least where I'm
posting from). Please stop telling me how to post. You might wish to get
out of your holier then fucking thou chair while your at it...

Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
flame you. It's a free country, you know.

Anno

Andrew DeFaria

Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
flame you. It's a free country, you know.

Anno
Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate this. I
don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People with such
petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up their asses
anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with to start with. YMMV.

anno4000

Andrew DeFaria said:
-=-=-=-=-=-

Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate this. I
don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People with such
petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up their asses
anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with to start with. YMMV.

Have fun.

Anno

Jürgen Exner

Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
flame you. It's a free country, you know.

Is Mr. Clueless still going at it and vigorously defending his idiocy? I
guess my public plonk was very much justified.

jue

Tuhin

Hi Sherm,

I clicked on "Start a new topic", filled out the message area and
clicked on post message. I don't know what I did wrong. But I found
that the way you replied my topic initiates fighting using slang words
which is unfortunate. I subscribed in this group with the intention of
learning some thing because I believed that you guys are expart. But
unfortunately your reply discouraged me to continue in this group. You
are expert, but dont pretend that every one is in your level. Please
stop fighting. I am unsubcsribing now.

Tuhin

Martijn Lievaart

How about setting up Samba such that you can mount shares from the PC to
the Unix server. Then share the CD on the PC and mount it to the Unix
system. Then just point your Perl script to the "mounted from the PC" CD.

Mister DeFarias advice is about as good as his posting style. What you
might do instead is install a CIFS (aka SMB) capable kernel and mount the
CDROM directly from the PC to the Unixbox.

M4

Andrew DeFaria

Sherm said:
"Please stop posting HTML" is not telling you how to post, Actually, yes... it is...
Yes, it's a free country. You're free to be as rude as you'd like to be. I see it doesn't stop you!
And the rest of us are free to think you're acting like a spoiled brat
when you do.
And I am as free to think the same to you.

Andrew DeFaria

Sherm said:
Yeah, rules do tend to be annoying to the children who don't
understand the reason for them.
I don't agree with the reasons. A difference you'll never admit to
understanding...
The other 99% of us understand that not everyone here is using an
HTML-capable news reader
Instead of bitching about it, why don't you get a better newsreader?
Physically impossible.
Somebody doesn't understand a metaphor...

Andrew DeFaria

Sherm said:
I have no idea what your problem is, but I haven't said a single word
to you. My posts in this thread have all been replies to Mr. DeFaria,
not to you.
Are you new to Usenet? BTW you might note that neither did I address you
specifically! This is a community and anybody can and will chime in...
Note that one problem with Mr. DeFaria's HTML-formatted posts is that
he is using HTML <blockquote> elements instead of the usenet standard
">"s to show quoted material - that's one reason you're finding it
difficult to discern who's replying to whom, but that's not my fault.
I'm the one who's asking him to please stop doing that.
You really need to take you meds. Tuhin didn't say anything about
quoting nor having difficulty discerning who's replying to whom.

You just wanted to take another pot shot at me which I find extremely
funny. I seem to bother you so much and quite frankly that is making my
day! You get so pissed off about the most trivial of things...

Andrew DeFaria

Sherm said:
Is English your first language? No, why is stupidity yours?
I'm guessing not, so I'll explain: A statement beginning with "please"
is a request, not as a command.
Great. Then surely you recognize that such requests can equally be
answered yes and no thank you. You don't have a problem with a negative
answer now do you? Otherwise it's not a request - it's a demand.
Yes, I'm being quite rude to you, because you were rude to the group
first.
Actually yes you are because you expect nothing but compliance to your
request, which really means it's not a request at all, it's a order
couched as a request. I just saved you the time by seeing right through
your deception.
Think whatever you want - My own posts are formatted in plain text and
use the accepted standard ">"s in the first column(s) of quoted material.
Wonderful! I shall alert the media! Whooopie!
You're the one demanding that special allowances be made for your
nonstandard message formatting. I'm doing nothing of the sort.
I'm demanding nothing. Read if you want. Discard if you don't. Free
country...
Notice already how confused the OP is
You are the only one confused here...

Martijn Lievaart

It's pretty funny that you don't recognize that that's pretty much the
same thing!

Well, there is a slight difference. Samba exports smb mounts, a cifs
capable kernel imports smb mounts. Small difference. Big impact.

Please try to follow your own advice, install samba on a non cifs capable
kernel and try to mount a remote share from a Windows PC. Now try the same
without samba on a cifs capable kernel. The first won't work, the second
will.
Damn it's great to know that these ASCII only experts are so well
informed!

Please think before you post, especially when you are utterly wrong.

I probably know more about CIFS/SMB in my pinky then you will in your
lifetime, thank you. Not that I want to, but I have to debug the stuff.

Oh, and please don't post in HTML and put some whitespace in your posts.
As you may notice, you are the *only* one posting html here. It's anti
social. It's hard to read.

M4

Andrew DeFaria

l said:
Andrew - I feel the same about *you*. BTW, I *love* reading html code.
Great then don't kill file me and I promise I'll give you more HTML to read!

Martijn Lievaart

I'm not sure what you mean by a "cifs" capable kernel.

The fact that you don't know what a cifs capable kernel is shows the depth
of your knowledge.
I've used Samba
to mount a remote share from a Windows PC and it worked just fine.

Are you dense or lying deliberately?

To all others. Not only is Mr DeFaria anti social and gives bad advice, he
will also not admit to being wrong. Not that we didn't know already.

M4

Andrew DeFaria

Martijn said:
The fact that you don't know what a cifs capable kernel is shows the
depth of your knowledge.
I was merely asking for clarification. Your ever so expert, social and
helpful self replied what again?
Are you dense or lying deliberately?
The statement above is 100% true. Of course you'll never believe me...
To all others. Not only is Mr DeFaria anti social and gives bad
advice, he will also not admit to being wrong.
Pray tell what exactly am I wrong about? I know I did the above. I was
there. Did it and it worked. Of course you don't bother to ask any
questions, clarifications or anything and just dismiss it out right with
not one iota of proof.
Not that we didn't know already.
Here's your word for the day M4 - sharity. There are other words.