Map Windows from Unix

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Tuhin, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Tuhin

    Tuhin Guest

    Hi Mark,

    Here is what I am doing now:

    Step 1. Every month, I receive data on CD from another department.
    Step 2. Using Windows Explorer, I copy those data in the appropriate
    directory on a remote Unix server.
    Step 3. Then I connect to the Unix server using Exceed On Demand.
    Step 4. Then I run a Perl script (which I wrote on the Unix server) to
    generate some reports from those data.

    Now, here is what I am trying to do:

    I like to do Step 1 while sitting on the Unix server so that when I
    will run my Perl script, first it will prompt to copy the data from the
    CD. CD ROM is connected with the PC.

    Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
    server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection dialog
    box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then I will
    be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.

    Thanks for your time.

    Tuhin

    Tuhin, Jan 16, 2007

  2. Tuhin wrote:
    > Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
    > server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection
    > dialog box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then
    > I will be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.

    How about setting up Samba such that you can mount shares from the PC to
    the Unix server. Then share the CD on the PC and mount it to the Unix
    system. Then just point your Perl script to the "mounted from the PC" CD.

    --

    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    Clones are people two.

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 16, 2007

  3. Tuhin

    Ian Wilson Guest

    Tuhin wrote:
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Here is what I am doing now:
    >
    > Step 1. Every month, I receive data on CD from another department.
    > Step 2. Using Windows Explorer, I copy those data in the appropriate
    > directory on a remote Unix server.
    > Step 3. Then I connect to the Unix server using Exceed On Demand.
    > Step 4. Then I run a Perl script (which I wrote on the Unix server) to
    > generate some reports from those data.
    >
    > Now, here is what I am trying to do:
    >
    > I like to do Step 1 while sitting on the Unix server so that when I
    > will run my Perl script, first it will prompt to copy the data from the
    > CD. CD ROM is connected with the PC.
    >
    > Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
    > server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection dialog
    > box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then I will
    > be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.

    I'd write a HTML web page containing a form that prompts for the file to
    be uploaded and which runs a CGI script to process the uploaded file and
    return a web page summarising the results (even if it is just "file OK").

    The first part of this is an HTML question not a Perl question so is a
    bit off-topic here ...
    <form enctype="multipart/form-data"
    method=post
    action="http://web.example.com/cgi/foo.pl">
    File:
    <input type=file name=textfile>
    </form>
    The second part is handling the submitted form in Perl. For which I
    suggest CPAN.

    Then the user just inserts the CD, opens the web page, clicks the button
    and uses the file-chooser to select the file. Job done.

    Ian Wilson, Jan 16, 2007
  4. Tuhin

    -berlin.de Guest

    Andrew DeFaria <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > -=-=-=-=-=-
    >
    > Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > > Andrew DeFaria <> writes:
    > >
    > >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    > >>
    > >> Tuhin wrote:
    > >> cite=""

    > > Please stop posting HTML gibberish. This is not the web, and your
    > > posting style is very annoying to those of us who actually know what
    > > we're doing.

    > Last time I checked this was a free country (well at least where I'm
    > posting from). Please stop telling me how to post. You might wish to get
    > out of your holier then fucking thou chair while your at it...

    Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
    flame you. It's a free country, you know.

    Anno

    -berlin.de, Jan 16, 2007
  5. -berlin.de wrote:
    > Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
    > flame you. It's a free country, you know.
    >
    > Anno

    Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate this. I
    don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People with such
    petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up their asses
    anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with to start with. YMMV.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    The nice thing about Standards is there are so many to choose from. -

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 16, 2007
  6. Tuhin

    -berlin.de Guest

    Andrew DeFaria <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > -=-=-=-=-=-
    >
    > -berlin.de wrote:
    > > Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
    > > flame you. It's a free country, you know.
    > >
    > > Anno

    > Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate this. I
    > don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People with such
    > petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up their asses
    > anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with to start with. YMMV.

    Have fun.

    Anno

    -berlin.de, Jan 16, 2007
  7. -berlin.de wrote:
    > Andrew DeFaria <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-
    >>
    >> -berlin.de wrote:
    >>> Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
    >>> flame you. It's a free country, you know.
    >>>
    >>> Anno

    >> Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate
    >> this. I don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People
    >> with such petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up
    >> their asses anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with
    >> to start with. YMMV.

    > Have fun.
    >
    > Anno

    I always do!

    --

    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 16, 2007
  8. -berlin.de wrote:
    > Andrew DeFaria <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >> -=-=-=-=-=-
    >>
    >> Sherm Pendley wrote:

    >>> Please stop posting HTML gibberish. This is not the web, and your
    >>> posting style is very annoying to those of us who actually know what
    >>> we're doing.

    >> Last time I checked this was a free country (well at least where I'm
    >> posting from). Please stop telling me how to post. You might wish to
    >> get out of your holier then fucking thou chair while your at it...

    > Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
    > flame you. It's a free country, you know.

    Is Mr. Clueless still going at it and vigorously defending his idiocy? I
    guess my public plonk was very much justified.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 16, 2007
  9. Tuhin

    -berlin.de Guest

    Andrew DeFaria <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > -=-=-=-=-=-
    >
    > -berlin.de wrote:
    > > Andrew DeFaria <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > >> -=-=-=-=-=-

    > >> Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate
    > >> this. I don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People
    > >> with such petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up
    > >> their asses anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with
    > >> to start with. YMMV.

    > > Have fun.
    > >
    > > Anno

    > I always do!

    You expressed too much displeasure in your contributions for that
    to be true.

    Anno

    -berlin.de, Jan 16, 2007
  10. Tuhin

    Tuhin Guest

    Hi Sherm,

    I clicked on "Start a new topic", filled out the message area and
    clicked on post message. I don't know what I did wrong. But I found
    that the way you replied my topic initiates fighting using slang words
    which is unfortunate. I subscribed in this group with the intention of
    learning some thing because I believed that you guys are expart. But
    unfortunately your reply discouraged me to continue in this group. You
    are expert, but dont pretend that every one is in your level. Please
    stop fighting. I am unsubcsribing now.

    Tuhin

    Tuhin, Jan 16, 2007
  11. On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:46:43 -0600, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > Tuhin wrote:
    >> Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
    >> server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection
    >> dialog box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then
    >> I will be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.

    > How about setting up Samba such that you can mount shares from the PC to
    > the Unix server. Then share the CD on the PC and mount it to the Unix
    > system. Then just point your Perl script to the "mounted from the PC" CD.

    Mister DeFarias advice is about as good as his posting style. What you
    might do instead is install a CIFS (aka SMB) capable kernel and mount the
    CDROM directly from the PC to the Unixbox.

    M4
    --
    Redundancy is a great way to introduce more single points of failure.

    Martijn Lievaart, Jan 16, 2007
  12. Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > "Please stop posting HTML" is not telling you how to post,

    Actually, yes... it is...
    > Yes, it's a free country. You're free to be as rude as you'd like to be.

    I see it doesn't stop you!
    > And the rest of us are free to think you're acting like a spoiled brat
    > when you do.

    And I am as free to think the same to you.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 17, 2007
  13. Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > Yeah, rules do tend to be annoying to the children who don't
    > understand the reason for them.

    I don't agree with the reasons. A difference you'll never admit to
    understanding...
    > The other 99% of us understand that not everyone here is using an
    > HTML-capable news reader

    Instead of bitching about it, why don't you get a better newsreader?
    >> and have their heads up their asses

    > Physically impossible.

    Somebody doesn't understand a metaphor...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 17, 2007
  14. -berlin.de wrote:
    > You expressed too much displeasure in your contributions for that to
    > be true.

    Yes, now you're claiming to know how I feel...

    --

    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    Making music should not be left to the professionals. - Michelle Shocked

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 17, 2007
  15. Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > "Tuhin" <> writes:
    >> Hi Sherm,
    >>
    >> I clicked on "Start a new topic", filled out the message area and
    >> clicked on post message. I don't know what I did wrong. But I found
    >> that the way you replied my topic initiates fighting using slang
    >> words which is unfortunate. I subscribed in this group with the
    >> intention of learning some thing because I believed that you guys are
    >> expart. But unfortunately your reply discouraged me to continue in
    >> this group. You are expert, but dont pretend that every one is in
    >> your level. Please stop fighting. I am unsubcsribing now.
    >>
    >> Tuhin

    > I have no idea what your problem is, but I haven't said a single word
    > to you. My posts in this thread have all been replies to Mr. DeFaria,
    > not to you.

    Are you new to Usenet? BTW you might note that neither did I address you
    specifically! This is a community and anybody can and will chime in...
    > Note that one problem with Mr. DeFaria's HTML-formatted posts is that
    > he is using HTML <blockquote> elements instead of the usenet standard
    > ">"s to show quoted material - that's one reason you're finding it
    > difficult to discern who's replying to whom, but that's not my fault.
    > I'm the one who's asking him to please stop doing that.

    You really need to take you meds. Tuhin didn't say anything about
    quoting nor having difficulty discerning who's replying to whom.

    You just wanted to take another pot shot at me which I find extremely
    funny. I seem to bother you so much and quite frankly that is making my
    day! You get so pissed off about the most trivial of things...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    My friend has a baby. I'm writing down all the noises he makes so later

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 17, 2007
  16. Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >> Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >> "Please stop posting HTML" is not telling you how to post,
    >> Actually, yes... it is...

    > Is English your first language?

    No, why is stupidity yours?
    > I'm guessing not, so I'll explain: A statement beginning with "please"
    > is a request, not as a command.

    Great. Then surely you recognize that such requests can equally be
    answered yes and no thank you. You don't have a problem with a negative
    answer now do you? Otherwise it's not a request - it's a demand.
    >> Yes, it's a free country. You're free to be as rude as you'd like to
    >> be. I see it doesn't stop you!

    > Yes, I'm being quite rude to you, because you were rude to the group
    > first.

    Actually yes you are because you expect nothing but compliance to your
    request, which really means it's not a request at all, it's a order
    couched as a request. I just saved you the time by seeing right through
    your deception.
    >> And the rest of us are free to think you're acting like a spoiled
    >> brat when you do.
    >>
    >> And I am as free to think the same to you.

    > Think whatever you want - My own posts are formatted in plain text and
    > use the accepted standard ">"s in the first column(s) of quoted material.

    Wonderful! I shall alert the media! Whooopie!
    > You're the one demanding that special allowances be made for your
    > nonstandard message formatting. I'm doing nothing of the sort.

    I'm demanding nothing. Read if you want. Discard if you don't. Free
    country...
    > Notice already how confused the OP is

    You are the only one confused here...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    I hit the CTRL key but I'm still not in control!

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 17, 2007
  17. On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:27:27 -0600, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > It's pretty funny that you don't recognize that that's pretty much the
    > same thing!

    Well, there is a slight difference. Samba exports smb mounts, a cifs
    capable kernel imports smb mounts. Small difference. Big impact.

    Please try to follow your own advice, install samba on a non cifs capable
    kernel and try to mount a remote share from a Windows PC. Now try the same
    without samba on a cifs capable kernel. The first won't work, the second
    will.

    > Damn it's great to know that these ASCII only experts are so well
    > informed!

    Please think before you post, especially when you are utterly wrong.

    > If you want to bone up on the subject:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_message_block

    I probably know more about CIFS/SMB in my pinky then you will in your
    lifetime, thank you. Not that I want to, but I have to debug the stuff.

    Oh, and please don't post in HTML and put some whitespace in your posts.
    As you may notice, you are the *only* one posting html here. It's anti
    social. It's hard to read.

    M4
    --
    Redundancy is a great way to introduce more single points of failure.

    Martijn Lievaart, Jan 17, 2007
  18. l v wrote:
    > Andrew - I feel the same about *you*. BTW, I *love* reading html code.

    Great then don't kill file me and I promise I'll give you more HTML to read!
    --
    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 17, 2007
  19. On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:02:31 -0600, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > Martijn Lievaart wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:27:27 -0600, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >>> It's pretty funny that you don't recognize that that's pretty much
    >>> the same thing!

    >> Well, there is a slight difference. Samba exports smb mounts, a cifs
    >> capable kernel imports smb mounts. Small difference. Big impact.
    >>
    >> Please try to follow your own advice, install samba on a non cifs
    >> capable kernel and try to mount a remote share from a Windows PC. Now
    >> try the same without samba on a cifs capable kernel. The first won't
    >> work, the second
    >> will.

    > I'm not sure what you mean by a "cifs" capable kernel.

    The fact that you don't know what a cifs capable kernel is shows the depth
    of your knowledge.

    > I've used Samba
    > to mount a remote share from a Windows PC and it worked just fine.

    Are you dense or lying deliberately?

    To all others. Not only is Mr DeFaria anti social and gives bad advice, he
    will also not admit to being wrong. Not that we didn't know already.

    M4
    --
    Redundancy is a great way to introduce more single points of failure.

    Martijn Lievaart, Jan 17, 2007
  20. Martijn Lievaart wrote:
    >> I'm not sure what you mean by a "cifs" capable kernel.

    > The fact that you don't know what a cifs capable kernel is shows the
    > depth of your knowledge.

    I was merely asking for clarification. Your ever so expert, social and
    helpful self replied what again?
    >> I've used Samba to mount a remote share from a Windows PC and it
    >> worked just fine.

    > Are you dense or lying deliberately?

    The statement above is 100% true. Of course you'll never believe me...
    > To all others. Not only is Mr DeFaria anti social and gives bad
    > advice, he will also not admit to being wrong.

    Pray tell what exactly am I wrong about? I know I did the above. I was
    there. Did it and it worked. Of course you don't bother to ask any
    questions, clarifications or anything and just dismiss it out right with
    not one iota of proof.
    > Not that we didn't know already.

    Here's your word for the day M4 - sharity. There are other words.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
    REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q)

    Andrew DeFaria, Jan 18, 2007