Maps on net..

digime

Hi, I need to put on web site a map..

what is the best way?
is there a dynamic script that allow functions
like Panning and zooming map?

thanx for any help

Jukka K. Korpela

Roy Schestowitz said:
Use the Google Maps Beta

Well, maybe, if you are interested in maps of a certain country (United
States of America) only and you don't mind requiring your users have
JavaScript enabled on their browsers.

Admittedly JavaScript can improve useability on pages with interactive
maps; but requiring that, i.e. not providing a server-side fallback, is a
design flaw.

Actually, accessing the page with JavaScript enabled makes my anti-virus
software report a suspected virus. I think I would wait at least for the
production version even if I needed US maps. After all, "beta" means
something given to the outside world to help a company debug its software,
with absolutely no guarantee or even statement about any functionality or
usefulness to users.

Maporama, http://www.maporama.com , has been on the Net for quite some
time, and it's worlwide, though with many areas rather coarsely covered.
It's a bit difficult to create a link that points to a specific map with a
specific point in the center, and the instructions in general are wanting,
but here's a sample URL that points to a specific place:
http://mymap.maporama.com/87F17612-0706-489F-B9B9-51D4FFA84217

David Dorward

Jukka said:
Well, maybe, if you are interested in maps of a certain country (United
States of America) only and you don't mind requiring your users have
JavaScript enabled on their browsers.

.... and if you don't mind requiring that they use one of a limited number of
specific browsers.

Roy Schestowitz

Jukka said:
[...]

I have mentioned all of these points in my recommendation this morning
(http://tinyurl.com/4nepy).

MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.co.uk/) and StreetMap
(http://www.streetmap.co.uk/) are the ones I used until a few days ago.
With a strong browser, these are just too time-consuming.

Roy

Jukka K. Korpela

Roy Schestowitz said:
I have mentioned all of these points in my recommendation this morning

You did? But you still gave an unconditional recommendation here in the
group.

Inaccessible at present. Posting real URLs is useful.

Actually, I was able to find out the real URL:
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/02/20/google-maps/

No, it does not mention any of the points I made, except for the
statement "only northern America is included" in fine print.
(I have no idea and no interest in checking whether your statement
"the page is Java-reliant" is correct, but in any case it was not a point I
made.)