    is there a dynamic script that allow functions
    like Panning and zooming map?

    thanx for any help
    digime, Feb 20, 2005

  2. digime wrote:

    > Hi, I need to put on web site a map..
    >
    > what is the best way?
    > is there a dynamic script that allow functions
    > like Panning and zooming map?
    >
    > thanx for any help

    Use the Google Maps Beta (http://maps.google.com/). It was only today that I
    recommended it (http://tinyurl.com/4nepy). You can link to a certain map
    state; scrolling and zooming is extremely easy.

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Feb 20, 2005

    Roy Schestowitz, Feb 20, 2005
  4. Roy Schestowitz <> wrote:

    > Use the Google Maps Beta

    Well, maybe, if you are interested in maps of a certain country (United
    States of America) only and you don't mind requiring your users have
    JavaScript enabled on their browsers.

    Admittedly JavaScript can improve useability on pages with interactive
    maps; but requiring that, i.e. not providing a server-side fallback, is a
    design flaw.

    Actually, accessing the page with JavaScript enabled makes my anti-virus
    software report a suspected virus. I think I would wait at least for the
    production version even if I needed US maps. After all, "beta" means
    something given to the outside world to help a company debug its software,
    with absolutely no guarantee or even statement about any functionality or
    usefulness to users.

    Maporama, http://www.maporama.com , has been on the Net for quite some
    time, and it's worlwide, though with many areas rather coarsely covered.
    It's a bit difficult to create a link that points to a specific map with a
    specific point in the center, and the instructions in general are wanting,
    but here's a sample URL that points to a specific place:
    http://mymap.maporama.com/87F17612-0706-489F-B9B9-51D4FFA84217

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 20, 2005
  5. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Well, maybe, if you are interested in maps of a certain country (United
    > States of America) only and you don't mind requiring your users have
    > JavaScript enabled on their browsers.

    .... and if you don't mind requiring that they use one of a limited number of
    specific browsers.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Feb 20, 2005
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz <> wrote:
    >
    >> Use the Google Maps Beta

    > Well, maybe, if you are interested in maps of a certain country (United
    > States of America) only and you don't mind requiring your users have
    > JavaScript enabled on their browsers.
    >
    > Admittedly JavaScript can improve useability on pages with interactive
    > maps; but requiring that, i.e. not providing a server-side fallback, is a
    > design flaw.
    >
    > Actually, accessing the page with JavaScript enabled makes my anti-virus
    > software report a suspected virus. I think I would wait at least for the
    > production version even if I needed US maps. After all, "beta" means
    > something given to the outside world to help a company debug its software,
    > with absolutely no guarantee or even statement about any functionality or
    > usefulness to users.
    >
    > Maporama, http://www.maporama.com , has been on the Net for quite some
    > time, and it's worlwide, though with many areas rather coarsely covered.
    > It's a bit difficult to create a link that points to a specific map with a
    > specific point in the center, and the instructions in general are wanting,
    > but here's a sample URL that points to a specific place:
    > http://mymap.maporama.com/87F17612-0706-489F-B9B9-51D4FFA84217

    I have mentioned all of these points in my recommendation this morning
    (http://tinyurl.com/4nepy).

    MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.co.uk/) and StreetMap
    (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/) are the ones I used until a few days ago.
    With a strong browser, these are just too time-consuming.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Feb 20, 2005
  7. Roy Schestowitz <> wrote:

    > I have mentioned all of these points in my recommendation this morning

    You did? But you still gave an unconditional recommendation here in the
    group.

    > (http://tinyurl.com/4nepy).

    Inaccessible at present. Posting real URLs is useful.

    Actually, I was able to find out the real URL:
    http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/02/20/google-maps/

    No, it does not mention any of the points I made, except for the
    statement "only northern America is included" in fine print.
    (I have no idea and no interest in checking whether your statement
    "the page is Java-reliant" is correct, but in any case it was not a point I
    made.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 20, 2005