Margin control (padding?)

Paul Furman

I want to have a big first letter like the first page of a book but the
margin for that whole line gets big:

path awhile, and Nihil watched his uncle carefully...
Thanks

Eric Bohlman

I want to have a big first letter like the first page of a book but the
margin for that whole line gets big:

path awhile, and Nihil watched his uncle carefully...

The technical term for what you're looking for is a "drop cap."

You solve the margin problem by setting float:left on your span, along with
a width.

Paul Furman

Eric said:
The technical term for what you're looking for is a "drop cap."

You solve the margin problem by setting float:left on your span, along with
a width.

Thanks, I found the following, though I didn't really want to make the
first letter drop but rather to stand above. Maybe an odd thought just
because the first letter is a "T":

..dropcapparagraph:first-letter
{
font-size:400%;
font-weight:bold;
float:left;
color:black;
}

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Richard:

Why the "output-print" ?
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_pseudo_elements.asp

BTW, Richard, you still have not fixed the incorrect adding of the
extra space at the beginning of a quoted line. Please remove that.

For Paul: while the w3schools example shows a <div> with first-letter,
you would probably want to use a <p class="fancyletter"> or similar
for normal text in the first paragraph of your page.