Marilyn vos Savant on "WWW"

Michael Wilcox

In this week's Parade magazone, Marilyn vos Savant discussed how to replace
"www" in normal conversation, since the three letters are a mouthful. The
reader response she gave was to replace "www" with "web", so the
pronunciation of www.google.com becomes web dot google dot com. Evidently
she (or her assistant) didn't know that "web" could qualify as a subdomain
(or not) and a user who types "web" instead of the intended "www" would be
given the inncorrect (or non-existant) page.

Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

Leslie

In this week's Parade magazone, Marilyn vos Savant discussed how to replace
"www" in normal conversation, since the three letters are a mouthful. The
reader response she gave was to replace "www" with "web", so the
pronunciation of www.google.com becomes web dot google dot com. Evidently
she (or her assistant) didn't know that "web" could qualify as a subdomain
(or not) and a user who types "web" instead of the intended "www" would be
given the inncorrect (or non-existant) page.

Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

How about "triple w"?

Leslie

Toby A Inkster

Michael said:
Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

"All the double-yous [dot] google dot com"

However, for most web sites you can just leave out the "www" anyway.
Sensible DNS admins tend to just use www.example.org set to "CNAME
example.org" or vice versa.

Hywel Jenkins

In this week's Parade magazone, Marilyn vos Savant discussed how to replace
"www" in normal conversation, since the three letters are a mouthful. The
reader response she gave was to replace "www" with "web", so the
pronunciation of www.google.com becomes web dot google dot com. Evidently
she (or her assistant) didn't know that "web" could qualify as a subdomain
(or not) and a user who types "web" instead of the intended "www" would be
given the inncorrect (or non-existant) page.

Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

Wuh Wuh Wuh.

A Hess

Somewhere around 11/2/03 9:34 AM, Michael Wilcox typed wildly with
reckless abandon:
Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

I sometimes say "dub dub dub" dot whatever, people tend to know what I'm
talking about. Most of the time though, you can leave the www out of an
address, so just say google.com.

Nick Theodorakis

How about "triple w"?

That's how I say it aloud.

Her column is a good illustration of the limitsof IQ testing (she is,
or at least was, allegedly the holder of the highest recorded IQ)

Nick

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Leslie said:
How about "triple w"?

Leslie

How about leaving it off altogether. Domains should resolve without the
www. part of the URL anyway.

--Tina

Leslie

What? No one thought of "w3" as in W3C...

Yeah, well.. I know several people who'd type in: w3.address.com and
then bitch to me that I'd given them the wrong address. :)

Leslie

Andy Dingley

Her column is a good illustration of the limitsof IQ testing (she is,
or at least was, allegedly the holder of the highest recorded IQ)

Is she a real person ? I'd always assumed that anyone with a high
IQ and a surname of "savant" was clearly invented for some comic strip
or other.

What would I know anyway - I've got the IQ of a Hollywood starlet

Adrienne

Somewhere around 11/2/03 9:34 AM, Michael Wilcox typed wildly with
reckless abandon:

I sometimes say "dub dub dub" dot whatever, people tend to know what I'm
talking about. Most of the time though, you can leave the www out of an
address, so just say google.com.

Yup, I'm part of the "dub dub dub" crowd, too.

Clive Moss

Bob Long said:
In

"Trouble-u"? (TRiple dOUBLE-U)

Bob Long
Douglas Adams remarked that "www" must be the only set of initials that take
longer to say than the words they represent
:)

Clive

Michael Wilcox

Clive Moss said:
Douglas Adams remarked that "www" must be the only set of initials
that take longer to say than the words they represent

On a related note, the HTML specs for <accronym> says, "Still other
abbreviated forms (e.g., "URI" and "SQL") are spelled out by some people and
pronounced as words by other people." How exactly would one pronounce URI
and SQL? Uuh-ree? Sqwall?

Nick Theodorakis

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:44:30 +0000, Andy Dingley

[snip re: Marilyn Vos Savant]
Is she a real person ? I'd always assumed that anyone with a high
IQ and a surname of "savant" was clearly invented for some comic strip
or other.

The Guinness Book of World Records thinks she's real, anyway.

BTW, I just found this link:
<http://www.wiskit.com/marilyn/marilyn.html>

Nick

Toby A Inkster

Michael said:
On a related note, the HTML specs for <accronym> says, "Still other
abbreviated forms (e.g., "URI" and "SQL") are spelled out by some people and
pronounced as words by other people." How exactly would one pronounce URI
and SQL? Uuh-ree? Sqwall?

URL is often pronounced as Earl.
I've never heard anyone pronounce URI, but I would guess like the name Uri.
SQL can be pronounced Sequel.

Owen Jacobson

Tina said:
How about leaving it off altogether. Domains should resolve without
the www. part of the URL anyway.

Sometimes, anyways. For some domains having a web server at the host
served by 'domain.tld' is inappropriate (though in this age of web
services and intro pages and online brochures that's less likely). Or,
in at least one case that I run and numerous others I've run into, the
domain may not resolve to a host at all (there's A records for some
hosts inside the domain, and an MX for the domain itself, but no A for
the domain itself).

Zak McGregor

How about leaving it off altogether. Domains should resolve without the
www. part of the URL anyway.

I disagree. Your domain is (for example) example.com.invalid, why should
_that_ url point to a machine serving http requests? It need not point to
any machine out there at all in fact. Having a conventional prefix helps
abstract the functions found at the various addresses. Splitting services
across multiple machines is then seamless.

Ciao

Zak

Tristan Miller

Greetings.

Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

CTV News (http://www.ctv.ca/) used to run a short segment called "Digital
Desk" which dealt with Internet-related things and was targetted at the
technologically clueless. The singularly annoying host, Mark Schneider,
made a point of reciting the show's site's address as "woowoowoo dot
digitaldesk dot com". I'm pretty sure that this was one of the reasons I
stopped watching CTV News. Thankfully the segment has since been
cancelled.

Regards,
Tristan