    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com
    Michael Wilcox, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Michael Wilcox

    Leslie Guest

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 17:34:19 GMT, "Michael Wilcox"
    <> wrote:

    >In this week's Parade magazone, Marilyn vos Savant discussed how to replace
    >"www" in normal conversation, since the three letters are a mouthful. The
    >reader response she gave was to replace "www" with "web", so the
    >pronunciation of www.google.com becomes web dot google dot com. Evidently
    >she (or her assistant) didn't know that "web" could qualify as a subdomain
    >(or not) and a user who types "web" instead of the intended "www" would be
    >given the inncorrect (or non-existant) page.
    >
    >Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    How about "triple w"?

    Leslie
    Leslie, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Michael Wilcox wrote:

    > Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    "All the double-yous [dot] google dot com"

    However, for most web sites you can just leave out the "www" anyway.
    Sensible DNS admins tend to just use www.example.org set to "CNAME
    example.org" or vice versa.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 2, 2003
  4. In article <vebpb.2331$>,
    says...
    > In this week's Parade magazone, Marilyn vos Savant discussed how to replace
    > "www" in normal conversation, since the three letters are a mouthful. The
    > reader response she gave was to replace "www" with "web", so the
    > pronunciation of www.google.com becomes web dot google dot com. Evidently
    > she (or her assistant) didn't know that "web" could qualify as a subdomain
    > (or not) and a user who types "web" instead of the intended "www" would be
    > given the inncorrect (or non-existant) page.
    >
    > Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    Wuh Wuh Wuh.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 2, 2003
  5. Michael Wilcox

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 11/2/03 9:34 AM, Michael Wilcox typed wildly with
    reckless abandon:

    > Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    I sometimes say "dub dub dub" dot whatever, people tend to know what I'm
    talking about. Most of the time though, you can leave the www out of an
    address, so just say google.com.

    discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm.... that's
    funny...'. - Isaac Asimov
    A Hess, Nov 2, 2003
  6. > >Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    > How about "triple w"?

    nope, don't go with triple w, how about w cubed ?
    Chris Leonard, Nov 2, 2003
  7. On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 17:53:14 GMT, Leslie <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 17:34:19 GMT, "Michael Wilcox"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In this week's Parade magazone, Marilyn vos Savant discussed how to replace
    >>"www" in normal conversation, since the three letters are a mouthful. The
    >>reader response she gave was to replace "www" with "web", so the
    >>pronunciation of www.google.com becomes web dot google dot com. Evidently
    >>she (or her assistant) didn't know that "web" could qualify as a subdomain
    >>(or not) and a user who types "web" instead of the intended "www" would be
    >>given the inncorrect (or non-existant) page.
    >>
    >>Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    >How about "triple w"?

    That's how I say it aloud.

    Her column is a good illustration of the limitsof IQ testing (she is,
    or at least was, allegedly the holder of the highest recorded IQ)

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu
    Nick Theodorakis, Nov 2, 2003
  8. "Leslie" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 17:34:19 GMT, "Michael Wilcox"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In this week's Parade magazone, Marilyn vos Savant discussed how to

    replace
    > >"www" in normal conversation, since the three letters are a mouthful. The
    > >reader response she gave was to replace "www" with "web", so the
    > >pronunciation of www.google.com becomes web dot google dot com. Evidently
    > >she (or her assistant) didn't know that "web" could qualify as a

    subdomain
    > >(or not) and a user who types "web" instead of the intended "www" would

    be
    > >given the inncorrect (or non-existant) page.
    > >
    > >Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    > How about "triple w"?
    >
    > Leslie

    How about leaving it off altogether. Domains should resolve without the
    www. part of the URL anyway.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    LiveChat: http://chat.affordablehost.com
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Nov 2, 2003
  9. Davmagic .Com, Nov 2, 2003
  10. Michael Wilcox

    Leslie Guest

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:54:10 -0500 (EST), (Davmagic
    ..Com) wrote:

    >>(Michael Wilcox)
    >>Anyone have a conversational alternative
    >>to "www"?

    >What? No one thought of "w3" as in W3C...

    Yeah, well.. I know several people who'd type in: w3.address.com and
    then bitch to me that I'd given them the wrong address. :)

    Leslie
    Leslie, Nov 2, 2003
  11. Michael Wilcox

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:31:19 GMT, (Nick
    Theodorakis) wrote:

    >Her column is a good illustration of the limitsof IQ testing (she is,
    >or at least was, allegedly the holder of the highest recorded IQ)

    Is she a real person ? I'd always assumed that anyone with a high
    IQ and a surname of "savant" was clearly invented for some comic strip
    or other.

    What would I know anyway - I've got the IQ of a Hollywood starlet
    Andy Dingley, Nov 2, 2003
  12. Michael Wilcox

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed A Hess <>
    writing in news::

    > Somewhere around 11/2/03 9:34 AM, Michael Wilcox typed wildly with
    > reckless abandon:
    >
    >> Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    > I sometimes say "dub dub dub" dot whatever, people tend to know what I'm
    > talking about. Most of the time though, you can leave the www out of an
    > address, so just say google.com.

    Yup, I'm part of the "dub dub dub" crowd, too.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Nov 2, 2003
  13. Michael Wilcox

    Bob Long Guest

    In news:vebpb.2331$,
    Michael Wilcox <> typed:
    [...]

    > Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    "Trouble-u"? (TRiple dOUBLE-U)

    Bob Long
    Bob Long, Nov 3, 2003
  14. Michael Wilcox

    Clive Moss Guest

    "Bob Long" <> wrote in message
    > In news:vebpb.2331$,
    > Michael Wilcox <> typed:
    > [...]
    >
    > > Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    > "Trouble-u"? (TRiple dOUBLE-U)
    >
    > Bob Long

    Douglas Adams remarked that "www" must be the only set of initials that take
    longer to say than the words they represent
    :)

    Clive
    Clive Moss, Nov 3, 2003
  15. Clive Moss <> wrote:
    > Douglas Adams remarked that "www" must be the only set of initials
    > that take longer to say than the words they represent

    On a related note, the HTML specs for <accronym> says, "Still other
    abbreviated forms (e.g., "URI" and "SQL") are spelled out by some people and
    pronounced as words by other people." How exactly would one pronounce URI
    and SQL? Uuh-ree? Sqwall?
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com
    Michael Wilcox, Nov 3, 2003
  16. On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:44:30 +0000, Andy Dingley
    <> wrote:

    [snip re: Marilyn Vos Savant]

    >Is she a real person ? I'd always assumed that anyone with a high
    >IQ and a surname of "savant" was clearly invented for some comic strip
    >or other.

    The Guinness Book of World Records thinks she's real, anyway.

    BTW, I just found this link:
    <http://www.wiskit.com/marilyn/marilyn.html>

    Nick

    Nick Theodorakis, Nov 3, 2003
  17. Michael Wilcox wrote:
    > On a related note, the HTML specs for <accronym> says, "Still other
    > abbreviated forms (e.g., "URI" and "SQL") are spelled out by some people and
    > pronounced as words by other people." How exactly would one pronounce URI
    > and SQL? Uuh-ree? Sqwall?

    URL is often pronounced as Earl.
    I've never heard anyone pronounce URI, but I would guess like the name Uri.
    SQL can be pronounced Sequel.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 3, 2003
  18. Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:

    > How about leaving it off altogether. Domains should resolve without
    > the www. part of the URL anyway.

    Sometimes, anyways. For some domains having a web server at the host
    served by 'domain.tld' is inappropriate (though in this age of web
    services and intro pages and online brochures that's less likely). Or,
    in at least one case that I run and numerous others I've run into, the
    domain may not resolve to a host at all (there's A records for some
    hosts inside the domain, and an MX for the domain itself, but no A for
    the domain itself).
    Owen Jacobson, Nov 3, 2003
  19. Michael Wilcox

    Zak McGregor Guest

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:34:11 +0200, Tina - AffordableHOST.com <"Tina -
    AffordableHOST.com" <>> wrote:

    > How about leaving it off altogether. Domains should resolve without the
    > www. part of the URL anyway.

    I disagree. Your domain is (for example) example.com.invalid, why should
    _that_ url point to a machine serving http requests? It need not point to
    any machine out there at all in fact. Having a conventional prefix helps
    abstract the functions found at the various addresses. Splitting services
    across multiple machines is then seamless.

    Ciao

    Zak

    http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs
    Auctioning motoring-related items at eBay? http://www.carfolio.com/ebay/
    Zak McGregor, Nov 3, 2003
  20. Greetings.

    In article <vebpb.2331$>, Michael
    Wilcox wrote:
    > Anyone have a conversational alternative to "www"?

    CTV News (http://www.ctv.ca/) used to run a short segment called "Digital
    Desk" which dealt with Internet-related things and was targetted at the
    technologically clueless. The singularly annoying host, Mark Schneider,
    made a point of reciting the show's site's address as "woowoowoo dot
    digitaldesk dot com". I'm pretty sure that this was one of the reasons I
    stopped watching CTV News. Thankfully the segment has since been
    cancelled.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --