Mark GPS coordinates on image file

Florian Weingarten

Hey everybody,

I am looking for a way to create a map with GPS coordinates. I have a list with
coordinates and I would like to display each of them as a small little dot in an
image showing the earth (similar to those little image files Wikipedia uses for
cities).

Is there something like that? Maybe as a gem?

Thanks

Flo

Kyle Schmitt

Err, I think you want something that does xmp or exif tagging.

ruby-exiv2 is supposed to be able to write out the tags, but I've not
done used it since I've only had to read.
For reading, exifr has been really great from my experience.

--Kyle

Kyle Schmitt

" but I've not done used it"...

Wow... always re-read sentances you've changed _before_ hitting send...

Luis Parravicini

Hi

I am looking for a way to create a map with GPS coordinates. I have a list with
coordinates and I would like to display each of them as a small little dot in an
image showing the earth (similar to those little image files Wikipedia uses for
cities).

Is there something like that? Maybe as a gem?

I don't know any gem to do that, but you have to make a projection of
the <lat,lng> pair to a <x,y> one. There are several methods, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection . Another option, if you
don't need much accuracy, is to use the coordinates directly as x,y.

Bye

Martin Boese

Hi,
I am running PostGIS and use the georuby gem to access the data with
ActiveRecord.

To display I am running Mapserver and ruby mapscript to provide WMS.
Then Openlayers on the webinterface. It works very well and also allows
me to use any external GIS program (like quantum gis, udig) to connect
and work with the data.

Martin

Florian Weingarten

Martin Boese said:
To display I am running Mapserver and ruby mapscript to provide WMS.
Then Openlayers on the webinterface. It works very well and also allows

Hi Martin,

that sounds like what I want. Is it a public website? Can I see it? Maybe a
screenshot? Thanks

Flo

Florian Weingarten

Martin Boese said:
It's unfortunately not public or open source, but feel free to contact
me off-list if you should get stuck.
The openlayers examples page shows how it can look like:

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/

Hi Martin,

I played around with openlayers today. Its very nice, but unfortunately
much too slow for me. I want to mark up to several thousands (!) of points
on my world map. I would really prefer something that generates me a
static image (because the coordinates only change once a day and I dont
necessarily need zooming and stuff).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Flo