Marked-Up Text Viewer for Python/Tkinter

James Stroud

Hello All,

I'm wondering if there is something that already exists that can take
marked up text in some format (hopefully reStructuredText or HTML) and
can convert it into something that can be displayed with Tkinter (maybe
with Text), either dynamically or otherwise. Minimal functionality would
be simple formatting and hyperlink callbacks.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

James

Eric Brunel

Hello All,

I'm wondering if there is something that already exists that can take
marked up text in some format (hopefully reStructuredText or HTML) and
can convert it into something that can be displayed with Tkinter (maybe
with Text), either dynamically or otherwise. Minimal functionality would
be simple formatting and hyperlink callbacks.

I'd say you could what you want within the (now apparently dead) Grail web
browser at:
http://grail.sourceforge.net/
since it is written in Python and uses Tkinter for its GUI.

Unfortunately, their download link seems to be dead. Maybe you can get it
somewhere else?

HTH

Claudio Grondi

Eric said:
I'd say you could what you want within the (now apparently dead) Grail
web browser at:
http://grail.sourceforge.net/
since it is written in Python and uses Tkinter for its GUI.

Unfortunately, their download link seems to be dead. Maybe you can get
it somewhere else?

HTH
via
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/grail/grail-0.6.tgz?download
e.g. at
http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/grail/grail-0.6.tgz

Claudio

Fuzzyman

I've played with grail. It does still work (basically).

I needed to put the grail directory in my ``site-packages`` folder and
create a 'grail.pth' file with the entry ``grail``.

Extracting the Tkinter widget, and exposing an API, would be tricky -
but I'm sure lots of people would use it. It's only HTML 2 though.

All the best,

Fuzzyman

?

=?iso-8859-1?B?QW5kcuk=?=

James said:
Hello All,

I'm wondering if there is something that already exists that can take
marked up text in some format (hopefully reStructuredText or HTML) and
can convert it into something that can be displayed with Tkinter (maybe
with Text), either dynamically or otherwise. Minimal functionality would
be simple formatting and hyperlink callbacks.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

James
If you're willing to use wxPython instead of Tkinter, you could have
access to a simple browser class that supports a number of html tags
(but no styles).

André