Market penetration of ASP versus ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dotnetforfood, May 30, 2004.

  1. I surveyed market penetration of various server-side technologies
    using Google's search facility and posted them to the
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general newsgroup. Results are in
    number of occurrences of each file extension:

    FileExt Occurrences
    ====================
    ..PHP 324M
    ..ASP 243M
    ..CGI 171M
    ..JSP 38M
    ..ASPX 23M

    Despite years of marketing and attempts to convert programmers, it
    appears that ASP.NET is a failure.

    ASP in contrast remains vibrantly present, solidly ensconced in second
    place behind PHP. After many years, ASP has more than 10 times larger
    usage than ASP.NET.

    Any other surveys available that show ASP.NET adoption (or
    abandonment, since this is also occurring)?

    dotnetforfood, May 30, 2004

  2. This isn't necessarily a good metric. All this is doing is measuring pages
    that contain the file extensoins. Keep in mind, that with ASP.Net and
    similar technologies such as JSP, you can have one page that does the same
    work as 10. Let's take a web site designed using the DotNetNuke portal. You
    may have hundreds upon hundreds of links inside a site, but most of them
    will be just a couple of pages. ASP.Net and JSP offer much different ways of
    creating interactive forms and pages than any of the other technologies.
    What may be one form in ASP.Net could very well be 5 or more pages in ASP as
    ASP developers often chain together forms, such as a questionairre.

    Better to use the metrics provided by the companies that research web
    development trends. Netcraft is almost the defacto standard when it comes to
    who is using what and where. Check out:
    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/03/23/aspnet_overtakes_jsp_and_java_servlets.html
    for a recent article.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    Mark Fitzpatrick, May 30, 2004

  3. >> Despite years of marketing and attempts to convert programmers, it
    >> appears that ASP.NET is a failure.

    it's amazing how someone can look at one google query and conclude market
    failure of an entire technology. absolutely amazing. you ought to be
    nominated for some sort of award.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], May 30, 2004
  4. dotnetforfood

    Earl Guest

    Even if you could assume some validity to your data, it would be more
    relevant to analyze acceleration or a trending curve rather than usage.
    Stats like this are what made one of our more famous Presidents remark,
    "there are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics".

    Earl, May 30, 2004
  5. Wow , that's really enlightening. there are sooo many holes in this logic I
    can't believe I'm responding to it.
    1) There are 736 million HTML pages, that's quite a bit more than PHP. So
    I guess by your standard, Dynamic content generation is a total failure.
    2) Quantity isn't everything. ASP.NET generates dynamic content... maybe,
    just maybe, people do more with less when using ASP.NET? Or, if you click
    through a few of those, you'll realize how many of them are discussons of
    PHP. If you read #2, it shouldn't be surprising why there might be more
    discussion on the subject. And there are a lot of those hits that don't
    have ANYTHING to do with technology or what's being used to generate the
    content. PHP and ASP are acronyms for a lot of stuff....
    3) ASP.NET was officially released in March of 2002 if I remember correctly.
    Even if you want to include beta, it hasn't been out nearly as long as the
    others. Think about AOL though. Used to have the most intense market
    penetration. That's been dwindling to say the least. You could look at any
    competitor after they first came out, and draw the same conclusion
    4) Even if those numbers meant anything, in terms of real adoption and you
    want to ignore the impact of #2, then why does More mean much in the context
    you are mentioning it? How many of those users are recreational users vs.
    real web sites. There used to be a lot, and I mean a lot, of web pages with
    the Blink Tag. So what do sheer numbers mean?
    5) By those numbers, considering Windows has far more installs than Linux,
    would you call Linux a total failure? It would be very silly to.
    6) Look at the numbers for Macromedia's Flash. Would you call it a
    marketing failure too?

    there sure are a lot of programmers making boatloads of cash working with
    this 'failed' technology... maybe they need to learn how smart people query
    google and see the light?

    --
    W.G. Ryan MVP Windows - Embedded

    http://forums.devbuzz.com
    http://www.knowdotnet.com/dataaccess.html
    http://www.msmvps.com/williamryan/

    William Ryan eMVP, May 30, 2004
  6. dotnetforfood

    Cor Ligthert Guest

    Hi,

    Are you sure all HTML frame hidden asp.net sides are counted as well?

    As well as all top HTML page sites which hide the aspx sites.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert, May 30, 2004
  7. dotnetforfood

    Rocky Moore Guest

    The numbers do not mean anything to me. I started out six years ago
    developing in PHP, then five years ago I moved to ASP since it was cleaner
    to work with in my opinion and had decent session tracking (which PHP
    lacked). Then when ASP.NET/C# first came out, I was instantly sold on it.
    I hate to touch PHP or ASP anymore, I have been completely spoiled by the
    wonderful world of ASP.NET/C#. And was with version 1, just wait until
    version 2.0 :)

    So, for me (a software developer for over 20 years), I went in just the
    reverse order they have listed. All my sites I put together now are only
    ASP.NET! And on top of that, every developer I know that was doing asp work
    is now moving to ASP.NET.

    --
    Rocky Moore
    www.HintsAndTips.com - ~ Developer Tips Welcome ~

    Rocky Moore, May 30, 2004
  8. dotnetforfood

    clintonG Guest

    Another example of the failure of the public school system.

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    clintonG, May 31, 2004