Market penetration of ASP versus ASP.NET

dotnetforfood

I surveyed market penetration of various server-side technologies
using Google's search facility. Results are in number of occurrences
of each file extension:

FileExt Occurrences
====================
..PHP 324M
..ASP 243M
..CGI 171M
..JSP 38M
..ASPX 23M

Despite years of marketing and attempts to convert programmers, it
appears that ASP.NET is a failure.

ASP in contrast remains vibrantly present, solidly ensconced in second
place behind PHP. After many years, ASP has more than 10 times larger
usage than ASP.NET.

Any other surveys available that show ASP.NET adoption (or
abandonment, since this is also occurring)?

Jos

dotnetforfood said:
I surveyed market penetration of various server-side technologies
using Google's search facility. Results are in number of occurrences
of each file extension:

FileExt Occurrences
====================
.PHP 324M
.ASP 243M
.CGI 171M
.JSP 38M
.ASPX 23M

I guess your survey overestimates PHP and ASP a little, since
Google will also return pages that mention PHP or ASP, but which are
not written in PHP or ASP.
In contrast, ASPX is only the extension, it's not the name of the
technology.

But I admit that would only change your results for about 10% at most.
Despite years of marketing and attempts to convert programmers, it
appears that ASP.NET is a failure.

ASP in contrast remains vibrantly present, solidly ensconced in second
place behind PHP. After many years, ASP has more than 10 times larger
usage than ASP.NET.

This is normal, I think, because these are mostly old applications.
It would be more interesting to see the distribution for pages created
or updated in the last year. Unfortunately, Google doesn't show
the date of the source file.

Evertjan.

Jos wrote on 29 mei 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I guess your survey overestimates PHP and ASP a little, since
Google will also return pages that mention PHP or ASP, but which are
not written in PHP or ASP.

Not using use Google "filetype:":

If you compare pages with the word "but" in it,
a mainly English subgroup, but you could try several other words:

http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:asp
14,400,000

http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:php
12,400,000

http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:aspx
2,490,000

http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:html
26,000,000

http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:htm
20,900,000

=======================

Using a typically Dutch [not so] common word "misschien":

http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:asp
120,000

http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:php
264,000

http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:aspx
5,760

http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:html
311,000

http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:htm
264,000

======================

aspx seems to be a looser.

Let us try one yesar from now() !

Ken Schaefer

ASP.NET is probably the fastest growing enterprise application development
technology at the moment. A few months ago it overtook JSP/J2EE on public
sites (according to Netcraft):
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/03/23/aspnet_overtakes_jsp_and_java_servlets.html

Microsoft (and other major vendors) also do a lot of market research. ASP
and PHP are still an order of magnitude more popular than ASP.NET. That said
*new* development is overwhelming being done in ASP.NET for non-trivial
applications (there is still a fair bit of ASP development for very small,
hobbyist type applications).

Cheers
Ken

:
: Not using use Google "filetype:":
:
: If you compare pages with the word "but" in it,
: a mainly English subgroup, but you could try several other words:
:
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:asp
: 14,400,000
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:php
: 12,400,000
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:aspx
: 2,490,000
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:html
: 26,000,000
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=but+filetype:htm
: 20,900,000
:
: =======================
:
: Using a typically Dutch [not so] common word "misschien":
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:asp
: 120,000
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:php
: 264,000
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:aspx
: 5,760
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:html
: 311,000
:
: http://www.google.com/search?q=misschien+filetype:htm
: 264,000
:
: ======================
:
: aspx seems to be a looser.
:
: Let us try one yesar from now() !
:
: --
: Evertjan.
: The Netherlands.
: (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

That said
*new* development is overwhelming being done in ASP.NET for non-trivial
applications (there is still a fair bit of ASP development for very small,
hobbyist type applications).

I'm likely in the minority, but I still develop full-blown web applications
in ASP. It is certainly capable, it's just not as "new and exciting"...

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Aaron said:
That said

I'm likely in the minority, but I still develop full-blown web
applications in ASP. It is certainly capable, it's just not as "new
and exciting"...

Same here. Our company is still using NT4 servers to host IIS, so I have no
choice. This is supposedly the year that we migrate to Win2003, but I won't
be holding my breath ...

Bob Barrows

Al

ASP and ASP.NET are primarily corporate technologies, unlike the rest. Google search will be partial to tools/ technologies that are available free or at less premium. For example, more companies offer private-site services with PHP than with ASP or ASP.NET. Many internal applications are written in ASP and ASP.NET comparatively, which Google wont be able to reach

Al

----- Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote: ----

Aaron Bertrand [MVP] wrote
That sai
applications in ASP. It is certainly capable, it's just not as "ne
and exciting"..

Same here. Our company is still using NT4 servers to host IIS, so I have n
choice. This is supposedly the year that we migrate to Win2003, but I won'
be holding my breath ..

Bob Barrow

Steven Burn

Aaron,
If your in the minority, then I have no idea where I am (I still use
ASP too, lol).

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Evertjan.

Steven Burn wrote on 31 mei 2004 in
Aaron,
If your in the minority, then I have no idea where I am
(I still use ASP too, lol).

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,
it's time to pause and reflect."

Mark Twain

Nicolas

Hello Chaps,

This thread's topic is remarkably similar to the very quiet current
discussion topic over on developersdex!

Why not join in and liven it up?

PS. All my development is still done in ASP - both corporate internal
and private external.

Cheers,
Nicolas
http://www20.brinkster.com/intefacesa/

Jeff Cochran

I surveyed market penetration of various server-side technologies
using Google's search facility. Results are in number of occurrences
of each file extension:

FileExt Occurrences
====================
.PHP 324M
.ASP 243M
.CGI 171M
.JSP 38M
.ASPX 23M

Despite years of marketing and attempts to convert programmers, it
appears that ASP.NET is a failure.

ASP in contrast remains vibrantly present, solidly ensconced in second
place behind PHP. After many years, ASP has more than 10 times larger
usage than ASP.NET.

Any other surveys available that show ASP.NET adoption (or
abandonment, since this is also occurring)?

You mean surveys that aren't using a flawed analysis such as yours?

Jeff