Market Share of Computer Languages

Discussion in 'Java' started by Aaron, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Someone recently told me that 60% of the code currently in use, is
    written in java. I have to wonder to myself, "is this information
    good? how old is this information? Does 'code' really only apply to a
    particular category of code?" and so on. I knew java had become very
    popular for mobile devices, but 60% of all code in use seems
    surprising. Does any sort of official (hopefully impartial) body
    actually keep track of this?
     
    Aaron, Feb 6, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Aaron

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Feb 6, 12:55 pm, "Aaron" <> wrote:
    > Someone recently told me that 60% of the code currently in use, is
    > written in java. I have to wonder to myself, "is this information
    > good? how old is this information? Does 'code' really only apply to a
    > particular category of code?" and so on. I knew java had become very
    > popular for mobile devices, but 60% of all code in use seems
    > surprising. Does any sort of official (hopefully impartial) body
    > actually keep track of this?



    60% seems awefully high to me. Perhaps that was 60% of all new code
    written?
    There is probably a far larger amount of "legacy" code that is written
    in C/C++/COBOL/etc.. than in Java.

    I don't know any statistics myself, though.
     
    Daniel Pitts, Feb 6, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    On Feb 6, 3:59 pm, "Daniel Pitts" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 12:55 pm, "Aaron" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Someone recently told me that 60% of the code currently in use, is
    > > written in java. I have to wonder to myself, "is this information
    > > good? how old is this information? Does 'code' really only apply to a
    > > particular category of code?" and so on. I knew java had become very
    > > popular for mobile devices, but 60% of all code in use seems
    > > surprising. Does any sort of official (hopefully impartial) body
    > > actually keep track of this?

    >
    > 60% seems awefully high to me. Perhaps that was 60% of all new code
    > written?
    > There is probably a far larger amount of "legacy" code that is written
    > in C/C++/COBOL/etc.. than in Java.
    >
    > I don't know any statistics myself, though.


    I thought the same thing myself. Then again, those older langauges
    had already passed their apex by the time the Internet really got
    cooking. I got the impression that the "fact" (urban lengend?) did
    apply to any legacy code so long as the software was still in active
    use.

    Another useful question would be what are the fastest growing
    languages?
     
    Aaron, Feb 6, 2007
    #3
  4. Aaron wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 3:59 pm, "Daniel Pitts" <> wrote:
    >> 60% seems awefully high to me. Perhaps that was 60% of all new code
    >> written?
    >> There is probably a far larger amount of "legacy" code that is written
    >> in C/C++/COBOL/etc.. than in Java.
    >>
    >> I don't know any statistics myself, though.

    >
    > I thought the same thing myself. Then again, those older langauges
    > had already passed their apex by the time the Internet really got
    > cooking. I got the impression that the "fact" (urban lengend?) did
    > apply to any legacy code so long as the software was still in active
    > use.
    >
    > Another useful question would be what are the fastest growing
    > languages?


    Code tend to exist for decades.

    There are still a lot of COBOL, FORTRAN and PL/I out there.

    C/C++ may not be first choice for new development, but there
    are still a lot of code out there and I don't think much has
    been retired yet.

    I have no doubt that Java is the biggest language for new
    development.

    Just check the job sites for verification.

    The fastest growing language is probably C#.

    Arne
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Feb 7, 2007
    #4
  5. Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    >
    > There are still a lot of COBOL, FORTRAN and PL/I out there.
    >



    And while it may seem obsolete, COBOL is still one of the top business
    languages used. The shop I work in converted scads of COBOL code from a
    mainframe over to Unix and it's still supported, enhanced and maintained
    for the simple reason that it does what it is supposed to do well. It
    may not be elegant or pretty, but for someone who is old-school like me,
    there's nothing better to look at (within IT) than an well structured
    Cobol program..even one that is 5000 lines.
     
    Farcus Pottysquirt, Feb 7, 2007
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jeff Thies

    browser market share stats

    Jeff Thies, Dec 3, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    440
    RepAlciere
    Dec 4, 2003
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    361
    brucie
    Dec 24, 2003
  3. Red
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    339
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=
    Feb 25, 2007
  4. raylopez99
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    283
    raylopez99
    Aug 27, 2008
  5. Saraswati lakki
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,350
    Saraswati lakki
    Jan 6, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page