Marking CheckBoxList Items as Checked

Wayne Wengert

I have a CheckBoxList with 11 items in the collection. I save the checked
item to a SQL DB, A record is created for each item checked for the current
customer.I want to redisplay checks in the fields that contain 1's when I
retrieve the records for that customer but I can't figure out the syntax to
do that? The chkList1.SelectedValue property deselects all other items and
the Items property appears to only accept an index. How can I do something
like:

While datareader1.Read
Select Case Category
Case "Gets Mailers"
cbList1.SelectedValue = "Gets Mailers" <== I really want to say
to check that selection
Case "Store Card"
cbList1.SelectedValue = "Store Card"

End Select
End While

Thanks

Wayne

Eliyahu Goldin

Wayne,

Instead of setting SelectedValue property of the list you should set
Selected property of every item you want to make selected.

Eliyahu

Wayne Wengert

Thanks for the reply.

Exactly how do I do that? I cannot figure out the syntax. There are lots of
choices in the Intellisense but nothing that makes sense to me for this. All
I want to do is to set the checkbox as checked for named values in the list.

Wayne

Wayne Wengert

This syntax seems to work:
cbList1.Items.Item("GE Music").Selected = True

The big confusion is that when you are keying in the statement and get to
the "Item" the popup indicates that it must be a zero based index. I did not
realize I could enter the value there.

Wayne

Wayne Wengert

When I load that out to my web site and run it I get the error:

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct
format.

Wayne

Eliyahu Goldin

Something like this (C# syntax):
public void SetCheckedForValue (CheckBoxList cbl, string val)
{
for (int i=0; i<cbl.Count; i++)
if (cbl.Items.Value==val)
{
cbl.Items.Selected=true;
return;

Eliyahu

Wayne Wengert

Eliyahu;

Thank you. I think I understand what needs to be done now. I'll try this and
let you know the results.

Wayne

Wayne Wengert said:
Thanks for the reply.

Exactly how do I do that? I cannot figure out the syntax. There are lots of
choices in the Intellisense but nothing that makes sense to me for this. All
I want to do is to set the checkbox as checked for named values in the list.

Wayne

when items
and to
say