Marquee and validation

Big Bill

Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
I'm a bit stuck on how to do it. Feel free to point me at urls in that
cheery way you have over here.

BB

Nico Schuyt

Big said:
Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
coding for the marquee :)

Big Bill

Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
coding for the marquee :)

It's a bleeding big marquee

www.marshallharber.com

Like a lot of tyhis stuff it looks dead pretty but it's a nightmare to
get the engines liking it. I'm going to have each word going to a
relevant page. Probably.

BB

Leif K-Brooks

Nico said:
Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
coding for the marquee :)

Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web site,
you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site dependent
on Javascript support.

Nico Schuyt

Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web
site, you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site
dependent on Javascript support.

Well, I suppose it's a compromise
1. It gives you the satisfaction of 'Congratulations! Valid HTML!' in a
validator
2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is disabled
:)

Steve Pugh

Leif K-Brooks said:
Yeah, but the text inside the marquee will be gone too.

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('<marquee>');
</script>

Content

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('</marquee>');
</script>

Still a stupid idea but preserves the content.

Could be done more elegantly through the DOM.

Steve

Karl Core

Big Bill said:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:31:58 -0500, "Karl Core"

They read this one.

Of course. Everyone always has an excuse about why their situation is
unique.

Tonnie

Karl said:
Of course. Everyone always has an excuse about why their situation is
unique.

If he would put up a maqueed text like 'sex sells', i'm certain you
would notice.