    www.kruse.co.uk
    home of SEO that's shiny!
    --
    Big Bill, Feb 17, 2005

  2. in alt.html, Big Bill wrote:
    > Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in?

    No.

    > I have a site I'm trying to validate []

    If you actually have some good reason to have marquee, then you can make
    custom DTD to validate. Lots about validation:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

    Utrecht, NL.
    Lauri Raittila, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Big Bill

    rf Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
    > Transitional,

    No.
    rf, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Big Bill

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Big Bill wrote:
    > Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
    > Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
    > I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

    Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
    coding for the marquee :)

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl
    Nico Schuyt, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:54:02 +0100, Lauri Raittila
    <> wrote:

    >in alt.html, Big Bill wrote:
    >> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in?

    >No.
    >
    >> I have a site I'm trying to validate []

    >If you actually have some good reason to have marquee, then you can make
    >custom DTD to validate. Lots about validation:
    >http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

    I bookmarked that, ta.

    BB
    --
    www.kruse.co.uk
    home of SEO that's shiny!
    Big Bill, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:09:30 +0100, "Nico Schuyt"
    <> wrote:

    >Big Bill wrote:
    >> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
    >> Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
    >> I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

    >Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
    >coding for the marquee :)

    It's a bleeding big marquee

    www.marshallharber.com

    Like a lot of tyhis stuff it looks dead pretty but it's a nightmare to
    get the engines liking it. I'm going to have each word going to a
    relevant page. Probably.

    BB
    --
    www.kruse.co.uk
    home of SEO that's shiny!
    Big Bill, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > Big Bill wrote:
    >
    >>Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1, or 3
    >>Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to validate and
    >>I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

    > Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write the
    > coding for the marquee :)

    Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web site,
    you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site dependent
    on Javascript support.
    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 18, 2005
  8. Big Bill

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    >> Big Bill wrote:

    >>> Was there *ever* an html spec that marquee was valid in? Like, 1,
    >>> or 3 Transitional, or whatever? I have a site I'm trying to
    >>> validate and I'm a bit stuck on how to do it.

    >> Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write
    >> the coding for the marquee :)

    > Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web
    > site, you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site
    > dependent on Javascript support.

    Well, I suppose it's a compromise
    1. It gives you the satisfaction of 'Congratulations! Valid HTML!' in a
    validator
    2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is disabled
    :)

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl
    Nico Schuyt, Feb 18, 2005
  9. Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >>>Big Bill wrote:

    >>>Mislead the validator by using javascript document.write() to write
    >>>the coding for the marquee :)

    >>Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web
    >>site, you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site
    >>dependent on Javascript support.

    > 2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is disabled
    > :)

    Yeah, but the text inside the marquee will be gone too.
    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 18, 2005
  10. Big Bill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    >>>Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web
    >>>site, you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site
    >>>dependent on Javascript support.

    >> 2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is disabled
    >> :)

    >Yeah, but the text inside the marquee will be gone too.

    <script type="text/javascript">
    document.write('<marquee>');
    </script>

    Content

    <script type="text/javascript">
    document.write('</marquee>');
    </script>

    Still a stupid idea but preserves the content.

    Could be done more elegantly through the DOM.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Feb 18, 2005
  11. Big Bill

    Karl Core Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message

    >>>Why? If your goal in validating is to create a more accessible Web
    >>>site, you're doing the opposite of that by making part of your site
    >>>dependent on Javascript support.

    >> 2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is
    >> disabled
    >> :)

    > Yeah, but the text inside the marquee will be gone too.

    Nobody reads maqueed text anyway. They're more blind to that than banner

    Karl Core
    Hell To Pay, Baltimore Hardcore: http://www.eightninethree.com
    Karl Core, Feb 18, 2005
  12. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:31:58 -0500, "Karl Core"
    <> wrote:

    >"Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message

    >>> 2. Who cares about disappearance of the bloody marquee when js is
    >>> disabled
    >>> :)

    >> Yeah, but the text inside the marquee will be gone too.

    >Nobody reads maqueed text anyway. They're more blind to that than banner

    They read this one.

    BB
    --
    www.kruse.co.uk
    home of SEO that's shiny!
    Big Bill, Feb 19, 2005
  13. Big Bill

    boclair Guest

    Big Bill wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:31:58 -0500, "Karl Core"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yeah, but the text inside the marquee will be gone too.

    >>Nobody reads maqueed text anyway. They're more blind to that than banner

    > They read this one.

    <noscript></noscript>

    Louise
    boclair, Feb 19, 2005
  14. Big Bill

    Karl Core Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:31:58 -0500, "Karl Core"
    > <> wrote:

    >>Nobody reads maqueed text anyway. They're more blind to that than banner

    > They read this one.

    Of course. Everyone always has an excuse about why their situation is
    unique.

    Karl Core, Feb 19, 2005
  15. Big Bill

    Tonnie Guest

    Karl Core wrote:
    > "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:31:58 -0500, "Karl Core"
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Nobody reads maqueed text anyway. They're more blind to that than banner

    >>They read this one.

    > Of course. Everyone always has an excuse about why their situation is
    > unique.

    If he would put up a maqueed text like 'sex sells', i'm certain you
    would notice.

    --
    Glas geschiedenis http://www.vision2form.nl/glashistorie.html
    Passie en talent http://www.vision2form.nl/young_talent.html