    trouble doing that with the Firefox browser.

    Thanks,
    Tony
    Tony, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Tony

    freemont Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:34:52 -0800, Tony writ:

    > Need a code for a marquee that I can add color to the text. Having
    > trouble doing that with the Firefox browser.

    marquee{color:#f00;}
    </head>
    <marquee>Watch it SRCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    </marquee>

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯
    freemont, Dec 10, 2007

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    freemont wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:34:52 -0800, Tony writ:
    >
    >> Need a code for a marquee that I can add color to the text. Having
    >> trouble doing that with the Firefox browser.

    > marquee{color:#f00;}
    > </head>
    > <marquee>Watch it SRCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > </marquee>

    Thanks!

    --
    Duane Eddy Tribute Page:http://members.tripod.com/~Tony50/deddy-1.html
    Tony, Dec 10, 2007
  4. Tony

    dorayme Guest

    In article <11d7j.437$>,
    Tony <> wrote:

    > Need a code for a marquee that I can add color to the text. Having
    > trouble doing that with the Firefox browser.

    This is a MS proprietary extension for creating animated text.
    Many browsers nevertheless support it. iCab shows its displeasure
    by a scowling face! The mark up cannot validate.

    And in any case, like in all good evolution, what is designed for
    one thing can be used for other things. For example, it can be
    used to race cars:

    http://netweaver.com.au/alt/marquee/race.html

    Just btw, the following can be used to race browsers (I know, it
    is usually the cars that race and not the tracks, but there is
    always room for other worlds...):

    http://netweaver.com.au/alt/marquee/browserRace.html

    by opening all your browser and getting all the windows to be
    same width, keep height of browsers to a minimum. You need to
    start them all off as closely to each other as possible. Not easy
    to be perfect here! But it does not matter, you can make an
    adjustment in your mind for this.

    iCab is slow and jerky, but surprisingly, Mac IE 5 is even more
    so! Opera is so smooth! Firefox is the spoilsport and refuses to
    run the cars at all. Not the cars, not the alt text and it won't
    run text marquee. Camino runs it. Firefox is the only browser
    with perfect and aloof integrity. <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 10, 2007
  5. Scripsit dorayme:

    > This is a MS proprietary extension for creating animated text.

    Yes, <marquee> was necessitated by the old Netscape invention of <blink>
    to preserve the balance on foolishness.

    > The mark up cannot validate.

    Of course it can. Validation does not depend on likes and dislikes, or
    on sensibility and nonsense. You just need a suitable DTD. You can use
    mine if you like, see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/own-dtd.html#tagsoup

    Just it pay off? Your call. But you don't need to let your stupid typos
    go undetected just because you're using stupid elements.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 10, 2007
  6. Tony

    dorayme Guest

    In article <nzi7j.263920$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Scripsit dorayme:

    > > The mark up cannot validate.

    > Of course it can. Validation does not depend on likes and dislikes, or
    > on sensibility and nonsense.

    According to something I read on the internet:

    "<MARQUEE ...> is often regarded as one of the "evil" tags, and
    that perception alone might be enough reason to not use it.
    However, used lightly and with taste (and understanding that it
    will never render everywhere), <MARQUEE ...> isn't such a bad
    tag. It can work well for announcements."

    In my innocence (I am a visitor to your world, remember) I just
    thought it would be very light and tasty as a car race and
    browser tester as explained in my post (which you snipped. You
    snipped all the good bits Jukka! All the tasteful and juicy bits,
    the sensitive and light bits!)

    Please use this for no other purpose but to see how different
    race tracks affect the speed of the cars:

    http://netweaver.com.au/alt/marquee/race.html
    http://netweaver.com.au/alt/marquee/browserRace.html
    http://netweaver.com.au/alt/marquee/textRace.html

    Check out the halting nature of some browsers including Mac IE
    and iCab, the smooth elegance of Opera's performance, the mule
    like intransigence of Firefox.

    Please don't be hard on me. I took a picture of my toy car this
    morning especially for this. I would gladly use an Icelandic sled
    if you sent me a little model of one for Xmas. Email me for my
    address. I am desperate to help you all. Don't reject me.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2007
  7. Scripsit dorayme:

    > In my innocence (I am a visitor to your world, remember) I just
    > thought it would be very light and tasty as a car race and
    > browser tester as explained in my post (which you snipped. You
    > snipped all the good bits Jukka! All the tasteful and juicy bits,
    > the sensitive and light bits!)

    I didn't snip anything. I simply quoted the part I commented on. This is
    normal Usenet practice, indeed normal practice in any commenting in
    writing. Deviating from it is a common signal of cluelessness, and I
    won't do that no matter how much some people might like to have their
    entire postings quoted.

    No matter how innocent and sensitive and cool and everything you are,
    you presented an incorrect statement "The mark up cannot validate."

    > Please don't be hard on me.

    I wasn't. Now I am. You just wasted a few minutes of my time with your
    pointless babbling, and the time of everyone else who might read this
    discussion.

    Justice will be served now: I will remind the audience that you made an
    incorrect statement about HTML, indicating that you either don't know
    what validation is or was very sleepy or sloppy. And you didn't want to
    let the discussion drop when your mistake had been friendly explained.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 11, 2007
  8. Tony

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:27:31 GMT
    dorayme scribed:

    > Check out the halting nature of some browsers including Mac IE
    > and iCab, the smooth elegance of Opera's performance, the mule
    > like intransigence of Firefox.
    >
    > Please don't be hard on me. I took a picture of my toy car this
    > morning especially for this. I would gladly use an Icelandic sled
    > if you sent me a little model of one for Xmas. Email me for my
    > address. I am desperate to help you all. Don't reject me.

    After that post, I think you're just desperate, period.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
    Bone Ur, Dec 11, 2007
  9. Tony

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A02C07393C5Fboneurhyphe@85.214.90.236>,
    Bone Ur <> wrote:

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:27:31 GMT
    > dorayme scribed:
    >
    > > Check out the halting nature of some browsers including Mac IE
    > > and iCab, the smooth elegance of Opera's performance, the mule
    > > like intransigence of Firefox.
    > >
    > > Please don't be hard on me. I took a picture of my toy car this
    > > morning especially for this. I would gladly use an Icelandic sled
    > > if you sent me a little model of one for Xmas. Email me for my
    > > address. I am desperate to help you all. Don't reject me.

    > After that post, I think you're just desperate, period.

    Was there something wrong with my post? <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2007
  10. Tony

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 10, 9:34 am, Tony <> wrote:
    > Need a code for a marquee that I can add color to the text. Having
    > trouble doing that with the Firefox browser.

    Others have given you code that will work on Firefox(and other)
    browsers. At one time marquee or flashing text was used quite a bit.
    Then dhmtl was used a lot for special dynamic effects. It could
    produce many elaborate effects, but you need to be good at writing
    javascript to produce your own code. Today flash seems to be the most
    popular method for producing dymanic effects. It requires expensive
    programs to get the more elaborate programs for making flash displays,
    but many find it much easier to use than dhtml.

    A marquee or other dynamic display can have rare uses even on very
    serious sites. For instance, the highly secure site for my bank puts
    up a big marquee in red letters when there is something new and
    unexpected. Part of the site being down, rare scheduled future
    downtime, etc can result in the marquee, and I very rarely have seen
    it as they usually solve a problem soon and take the marquee down.
    When people go to the site to check their bank account, few likely
    read the messages that seldom change and go at once to review their
    transactions. The red marquee does get your attention.

    If you go to http://www.cwdjr.net/dhtml/cuckoobutton.php you will see
    a circle marquee. Actually it is dhtml using script and does not use a
    marquee tag at all. Much of the code is in php on the server which you
    will not see on viewing the source code. Rather simple php code
    generates the very long code that gets downloaded to the browser. This
    code was written just as a fun thing, and I doubt if I or many others
    actually would use it on a general web site.
    cwdjrxyz, Dec 11, 2007
  11. Tony

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <Xns9A02C07393C5Fboneurhyphe@85.214.90.236>,
    > Bone Ur <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:27:31 GMT
    >> dorayme scribed:
    >>
    >>> Check out the halting nature of some browsers including Mac IE
    >>> and iCab, the smooth elegance of Opera's performance, the mule
    >>> like intransigence of Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Please don't be hard on me. I took a picture of my toy car this
    >>> morning especially for this. I would gladly use an Icelandic sled
    >>> if you sent me a little model of one for Xmas. Email me for my
    >>> address. I am desperate to help you all. Don't reject me.

    >> After that post, I think you're just desperate, period.

    > Was there something wrong with my post? <g>

    Not at all.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 11, 2007
  12. Tony

    rf Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > Scripsit dorayme:
    >
    >> In my innocence (I am a visitor to your world, remember) I just

    <snippage>

    >> Please don't be hard on me.

    > I wasn't. Now I am. You just wasted a few minutes of my time with your
    > pointless babbling, and the time of everyone else who might read this
    > discussion.

    For once I agree with Mr Korpela.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 11, 2007
  13. Tony

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:10:37
    GMT dorayme scribed:

    >> > Please don't be hard on me. I took a picture of my toy car this
    >> > morning especially for this. I would gladly use an Icelandic sled
    >> > if you sent me a little model of one for Xmas. Email me for my
    >> > address. I am desperate to help you all. Don't reject me.

    >> After that post, I think you're just desperate, period.

    > Was there something wrong with my post? <g>

    Yep. Jukka took the words right out of my mouth.

    Btw, I notice both yours and rf's 'nom de plume' are both composed entirely
    of small letters. You're not mates, are you?

    Bone Ur, Dec 11, 2007
  14. Tony

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5hr7j.263976$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Scripsit dorayme:
    >
    > > In my innocence (I am a visitor to your world, remember) I just
    > > thought it would be very light and tasty as a car race and
    > > browser tester as explained in my post (which you snipped. You
    > > snipped all the good bits Jukka! All the tasteful and juicy bits,
    > > the sensitive and light bits!)

    > I didn't snip anything. I simply quoted the part I commented on. This is
    > normal Usenet practice, indeed normal practice in any commenting in
    > writing. Deviating from it is a common signal of cluelessness, and I
    > won't do that no matter how much some people might like to have their
    > entire postings quoted.

    O please, I don't have any particular desire to be quoted. I do
    a pretty good job of advertising myself rather disgracefully. And
    I am rather loathe these days to argue with you, I have learnt
    from you. You are a sort of devil I know. Is that such a terrible
    thing to say? You hard boiled egg you... <g>

    Look, it is not the "bitter salts" that was so cutely mentioned
    about a year ago by a European gent to describe your presence
    here that I in any way object to. I do so wish you would not miss
    opportunities to use your knowledge to more humbly help lower
    beings. In the discussion about validation, for example, in
    another thread, I would have loved to hear a summary from you
    about the matter instead of the horrible reference to read almost
    unreadable descriptions somewhere else. I have a theory which I
    will reveal to anyone who asks to say I have a grasp of the
    matter that is quite good enough for most practical purposes

    > No matter how innocent and sensitive and cool and everything you are,
    > you presented an incorrect statement "The mark up cannot validate."

    There is nothing the slightest bit cool about me. OK I was
    sloppy. I was thinking of a larger context believe it or not. I
    sometimes dream that you might cut a bit of slack and read
    between a line or two and be sort of more charitable. Like, for
    example that the use of marquee might occasionally be used in a
    context where there was a mass of other things that would greatly
    benefit from being under, say, 4.01 Strict, the silly marquee an
    addition later.

    Another poster has posted an excellent example of a bank that
    normally does not put scrolling text up. And now and then, they
    slip some in. (I am not endorsing this or suggesting there would
    not be other better ways. I am no fan at all of the marquee
    except for toy car racing [1]). In any doctype generally worth
    using, marquee will not validate. It will not validate! This is
    not untrue. It is not clueless. It is set in a more complex
    context than you will grant. You are too quick to administer the
    bitter salts.

    > > Please don't be hard on me.

    > I wasn't. Now I am. You just wasted a few minutes of my time with your
    > pointless babbling, and the time of everyone else who might read this
    > discussion.
    >
    > Justice will be served now: I will remind the audience that you made an
    > incorrect statement about HTML, indicating that you either don't know
    > what validation is or was very sleepy or sloppy. And you didn't want to
    > let the discussion drop when your mistake had been friendly explained.

    It is a seriously complicated question, your assumption is
    incorrect. I am studying your references.

    -----------
    [1] See my previous urls... Jukka, have you secretly been playing
    with my toy cars and racing browsers against each other according
    to the instructions that I laid down? I guess you would never
    admit it!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2007
  15. Tony

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Cvr7j.22580$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > > Scripsit dorayme:
    > >
    > >> In my innocence (I am a visitor to your world, remember) I just

    > <snippage>
    >
    > >> Please don't be hard on me.

    > > I wasn't. Now I am. You just wasted a few minutes of my time with your
    > > pointless babbling, and the time of everyone else who might read this
    > > discussion.

    > For once I agree with Mr Korpela.

    Of course you do where I am concerned! I know you are always
    there, waiting in the wings to pounce on me! I *felt* you unfold
    your black wings and stretch your long neck and peer pointedly
    down at poor defenceless dorayme stumbling about in the dark,
    scratching knees and toes and elbows as it tries to stay upright
    among hard-boiled no-nonsense techies, your keen night vision
    seeing all and directing your nose to the the least scent of
    blood...

    There is no need to say it.

    Come on Richard, give me a break, I went to some trouble to show
    you my toy car racing along. Would your attitude have been
    different if it had been one of your toy skiers? Send me one and
    I will put it in a marquee race. I really really would.

    Just one little question, did you play with my toy cars Richard?
    Is it all skiis and tennis with you? Surely not.

    You know, the big bike world champ is an Aussie? Show some
    loyalty to an Australian marquee car race...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2007
  16. Tony

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A03D4094D3Aboneurhyphe@85.214.90.236>,
    Bone Ur <> wrote:

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:10:37
    > GMT dorayme scribed:

    > >> After that post, I think you're just desperate, period.

    > > Was there something wrong with my post? <g>

    > Yep. Jukka took the words right out of my mouth.
    >
    > Btw, I notice both yours and rf's 'nom de plume' are both composed entirely
    > of small letters. You're not mates, are you?

    No, but I would defend his use of small letters. You have some
    sort of obsessive interest in such things I have noticed. I
    recall you being very badly wounded over the issue a while back...

    But never mind, both the small and big letters must try to get
    along...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2007
  17. Tony

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Cvr7j.22580$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    >> > Scripsit dorayme:

    >> <snippage>

    >> > I wasn't. Now I am. You just wasted a few minutes of my time with your
    >> > pointless babbling, and the time of everyone else who might read this
    >> > discussion.

    >> For once I agree with Mr Korpela.

    dorayme,

    When the odd peice of useful you do produce is so diluted with

    <snip meaningless drivel>

    then

    > Come on Richard, give me a break,

    why should I?

    Where does your meaningless drivel fit into a technical newsgroup? Yes, I
    know, it's in the alt heirarchy but even so it is not a bloody chat room.

    --
    Richard
    rf, Dec 11, 2007
  18. Tony

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:18:30
    GMT dorayme scribed:

    >> > Was there something wrong with my post? <g>

    >> Yep. Jukka took the words right out of my mouth.
    >>
    >> Btw, I notice both yours and rf's 'nom de plume' are both composed
    >> entirely of small letters. You're not mates, are you?

    > No, but I would defend his use of small letters. You have some
    > sort of obsessive interest in such things I have noticed. I
    > recall you being very badly wounded over the issue a while back...

    What?!! I think you are misinformed.

    > But never mind, both the small and big letters must try to get
    > along...

    No, it's a constant struggle between them, just like men vs. women. (Er,
    naturally, the puny letters are women in this scenario.) However, the bulk
    of the diminutive glyph-constructs _do_ know their place and have no
    trouble being superceded by their profounder cousins.

    Bone Ur, Dec 11, 2007
  19. Tony

    dorayme Guest

    In article <xXs7j.22605$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > Where does your meaningless drivel fit into a technical newsgroup?

    O well, was there anything in my first post that was worth more
    than a cent?

    What about that iCab is slow and jerky, but surprisingly, Mac IE
    5 is even more so? That bit was a bit brilliant? No?

    Ok, what about that Opera is smooth? That was a pretty big point,
    no?

    Or that Firefox is the spoilsport and refuses to run the marquee.
    Come on! Admit that one!

    Or that Camino runs it! Camino!

    What about the bit about it being an MS thing? I rather liked
    that bit. I thought that bit was sort of relevant to say here. I
    must go back and reread that bit.

    There was something (perhaps not totally accurate about
    validation, the difficulty of validation with it...) At least it
    raised the issue. That was good thing to raise, no?

    No, I know... Never mind, I will try harder next time. If I ever
    succeed in saying anything of any merit, will you join in and
    deepen the discussion?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 11, 2007
  20. Tony

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <xXs7j.22605$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Where does your meaningless drivel fit into a technical newsgroup?

    > O well, was there anything in my first post that was worth more
    > than a cent?

    Girl, I was not talking about your first post which was not bad, considering
    you were talking about a non-standard element that eveybody hates.

    I was talking about the ensuing prattle, including your most recent one, and
    followup posts from you in just about every thread you indulge in within
    this and every other newsgroup I see you in. You, like any bloody sheila,
    need to have the absolute last word, even if it is drivel. Look at the stats
    Toby posted this week. Prattle 50, your prattle partner, Mr Ur, 23, all
    others 16 or less.

    But then again I fear I may be prattling.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 11, 2007