    automatically change?

    Any one?

    TIA

    Gary Stacey, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Gary Stacey wrote:
    > I have a marquee on my web page that I update weekly (hockey results).

    And you really think that information is important enough to have the
    eye attracted to it, but unimportant enough to make people wait to see it?

    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Gary Stacey

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <e4Nzb.151$>,
    says...
    > > I have a marquee on my web page that I update weekly (hockey results).

    > And you really think that information is important enough to have the
    > eye attracted to it, but unimportant enough to make people wait to see it?

    I agree for the most part, but there are exceptions to the rule. With
    this example (hockey scores) a scrolling marque could be completely
    acceptable as a way to display this content.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Gary Stacey

    PeterMcC Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <e4Nzb.151$>,
    > says...
    >>> I have a marquee on my web page that I update weekly (hockey
    >>> results).

    >> And you really think that information is important enough to have the
    >> eye attracted to it, but unimportant enough to make people wait to
    >> see it?

    > I agree for the most part, but there are exceptions to the rule. With
    > this example (hockey scores) a scrolling marque could be completely
    > acceptable as a way to display this content.

    Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three main
    as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC, ITV and Sky
    all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the display.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Gary Stacey

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "PeterMcC" <> wrote in

    > Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three main
    > as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC, ITV and
    > Sky all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the display.

    That strikes me as the sort of thing you can get away with if you're a
    *really* well-known media outlet like the above three, but not if you're a
    little guy. The problem is that unless you're so big that new visitors
    know beforehand what to expect when they come to your site, scrolling text
    is likely to trigger "banner blindness"; viewers will unconsciously decide
    "this stuff looks like an ad, don't bother looking at it."

    Eric Bohlman, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Gary Stacey

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <Xns9448435581EEBebohlmanomsdevcom@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > > Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three main
    > > as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC, ITV and
    > > Sky all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the display.

    > That strikes me as the sort of thing you can get away with if you're a
    > *really* well-known media outlet like the above three, but not if you're a
    > little guy....

    So the little guy should not try to imitate the big guy? I totally
    disagree. If you want to win, do what the winners do.

    > The problem is that unless you're so big that new visitors
    > know beforehand what to expect when they come to your site, scrolling text
    > is likely to trigger "banner blindness"; viewers will unconsciously decide
    > "this stuff looks like an ad, don't bother looking at it."

    This is possible, but equally as possible is that they will like what
    they see because of the expectations that that bigger guys gave them.
    It could look familiar, and they will stay.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 5, 2003
  7. PeterMcC wrote:

    > Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three main
    > as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC, ITV and Sky
    > all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the display.

    TV is a time-dependent medium. When you put some text on the screen, you
    have to remove it somehow (e.g. scrolling it away, dissolving it, or any
    other fancy transition effect) -- otherwise the watcher will have to sit
    and stare at the same text for the rest of eternity. So it makes sense to
    use scrolling text.

    The web is different: you can put text on the screen and leave it there.
    The user himself can remove it (by scrolling away, moving on to the next
    page, etc) when he wants. This is a *Good* *Thing*.

    If you're saying that these TV channels use scrolling text on their web
    sites then they are being pretty dumb, but their excuse is probably that
    they are just replicating the look and feel of their TV shows.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Gary Stacey

    Gary Stacey Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > PeterMcC wrote:
    >
    > > Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three main
    > > as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC, ITV and

    Sky
    > > all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the display.

    > TV is a time-dependent medium. When you put some text on the screen, you
    > have to remove it somehow (e.g. scrolling it away, dissolving it, or any
    > other fancy transition effect) -- otherwise the watcher will have to sit
    > and stare at the same text for the rest of eternity. So it makes sense to
    > use scrolling text.
    >
    > The web is different: you can put text on the screen and leave it there.
    > The user himself can remove it (by scrolling away, moving on to the next
    > page, etc) when he wants. This is a *Good* *Thing*.
    >
    > If you're saying that these TV channels use scrolling text on their web
    > sites then they are being pretty dumb, but their excuse is probably that
    > they are just replicating the look and feel of their TV shows.
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    > Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

    Thanks Gents.

    Actually this is my first ever web page and I was just trying to make it fit
    on one screen without the need to scroll up and down for all the
    information.

    The question I thought was easy and there is no need for major debate over
    how crap it looks.

    Can it be done? Yes or No?

    Gary Stacey, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Gary Stacey

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > but their excuse is probably that
    > they are just replicating the look and feel of their TV shows.

    That is EXACTLY what they are trying to do. To replicate a look and
    feel. It is like a stock ticker tape. Very excepted, fun to watch, but
    pretty useless.

    Sometimes, look and feel, and fun are important too.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Gary Stacey

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <By5Ab.351967$>,
    says...
    > Actually this is my first ever web page and I was just trying to make it fit
    > on one screen without the need to scroll up and down for all the
    > information.
    > The question I thought was easy and there is no need for major debate over
    > how crap it looks.
    > Can it be done? Yes or No?

    Yes it can be done. Search google for Marquee and HTML you will be
    rewareded with thousands of examples

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 5, 2003
  11. Gary Stacey

    Steve R. Guest

    Gary Stacey wrote in message ...
    > I was just trying to make it fit on one screen without
    > the need to scroll up and down for all the information.

    Scrolling up and down is *MUCH* quicker and more convenient than having to
    wait for 'marquee' results - and possibly missing some -

    > Can it be done? Yes or No?

    Yes it can be done, but the guys/gals here won't tell you if they believe
    it's a bad thing.

    They've got standards to maintain :~)

    Steve.

    Steve R., Dec 5, 2003
  12. Gary Stacey

    PeterMcC Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > PeterMcC wrote:
    >
    >> Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three
    >> main as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC,
    >> ITV and Sky all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the
    >> display.

    > TV is a time-dependent medium. When you put some text on the screen,
    > you have to remove it somehow (e.g. scrolling it away, dissolving it,
    > or any other fancy transition effect) -- otherwise the watcher will
    > have to sit and stare at the same text for the rest of eternity. So
    > it makes sense to use scrolling text.
    >
    > The web is different: you can put text on the screen and leave it
    > there. The user himself can remove it (by scrolling away, moving on
    > to the next page, etc) when he wants. This is a *Good* *Thing*.
    >
    > If you're saying that these TV channels use scrolling text on their
    > web sites then they are being pretty dumb, but their excuse is
    > probably that they are just replicating the look and feel of their TV
    > shows.

    AFAIK their web sites don't use it though I've not checked them in the
    "live-scores" period. Nice point about the transient nature of the TV
    ticker-taped info. I suppose that, if a web site really was handling
    up-dated info at that rate, there might be a reason to use a marquee effect
    but it seems unlikely that the need would really arise - and, if it did,
    <marquee> wouldn't be the way to implement it.

    PeterMcC, Dec 6, 2003