Marquee help pls.

Gary Stacey

I have a marquee on my web page that I update weekly (hockey results).
Can I link the marquee to another file (text file?) so I don't need to
change the whole web page every week.
That way I can just update a small simple file instead & the marquee will
automatically change?

Any one?

TIA

Whitecrest

And you really think that information is important enough to have the
eye attracted to it, but unimportant enough to make people wait to see it?

I agree for the most part, but there are exceptions to the rule. With
this example (hockey scores) a scrolling marque could be completely
acceptable as a way to display this content.

PeterMcC

Whitecrest said:
I agree for the most part, but there are exceptions to the rule. With
this example (hockey scores) a scrolling marque could be completely
acceptable as a way to display this content.

Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three main
as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC, ITV and Sky
all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the display.

Eric Bohlman

Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three main
as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC, ITV and
Sky all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the display.

That strikes me as the sort of thing you can get away with if you're a
*really* well-known media outlet like the above three, but not if you're a
little guy. The problem is that unless you're so big that new visitors
know beforehand what to expect when they come to your site, scrolling text
is likely to trigger "banner blindness"; viewers will unconsciously decide
"this stuff looks like an ad, don't bother looking at it."

Whitecrest

That strikes me as the sort of thing you can get away with if you're a
*really* well-known media outlet like the above three, but not if you're a
little guy....

So the little guy should not try to imitate the big guy? I totally
disagree. If you want to win, do what the winners do.
The problem is that unless you're so big that new visitors
know beforehand what to expect when they come to your site, scrolling text
is likely to trigger "banner blindness"; viewers will unconsciously decide
"this stuff looks like an ad, don't bother looking at it."

This is possible, but equally as possible is that they will like what
they see because of the expectations that that bigger guys gave them.
It could look familiar, and they will stay.

Toby A Inkster

PeterMcC said:
Whether it's a "good thing" or not may be debatable but the three main
as-they-come-in sports results services on TV in the UK - BBC, ITV and Sky
all use a scrolling ticker-tape format as part of the display.

TV is a time-dependent medium. When you put some text on the screen, you
have to remove it somehow (e.g. scrolling it away, dissolving it, or any
other fancy transition effect) -- otherwise the watcher will have to sit
and stare at the same text for the rest of eternity. So it makes sense to
use scrolling text.

The web is different: you can put text on the screen and leave it there.
The user himself can remove it (by scrolling away, moving on to the next
page, etc) when he wants. This is a *Good* *Thing*.

If you're saying that these TV channels use scrolling text on their web
sites then they are being pretty dumb, but their excuse is probably that
they are just replicating the look and feel of their TV shows.

Gary Stacey

Toby A Inkster said:
TV is a time-dependent medium. When you put some text on the screen, you
have to remove it somehow (e.g. scrolling it away, dissolving it, or any
other fancy transition effect) -- otherwise the watcher will have to sit
and stare at the same text for the rest of eternity. So it makes sense to
use scrolling text.

The web is different: you can put text on the screen and leave it there.
The user himself can remove it (by scrolling away, moving on to the next
page, etc) when he wants. This is a *Good* *Thing*.

If you're saying that these TV channels use scrolling text on their web
sites then they are being pretty dumb, but their excuse is probably that
they are just replicating the look and feel of their TV shows.

Thanks Gents.

Actually this is my first ever web page and I was just trying to make it fit
on one screen without the need to scroll up and down for all the
information.

The question I thought was easy and there is no need for major debate over
how crap it looks.

Can it be done? Yes or No?

Whitecrest

but their excuse is probably that
they are just replicating the look and feel of their TV shows.

That is EXACTLY what they are trying to do. To replicate a look and
feel. It is like a stock ticker tape. Very excepted, fun to watch, but
pretty useless.

Sometimes, look and feel, and fun are important too.

Whitecrest

Actually this is my first ever web page and I was just trying to make it fit
on one screen without the need to scroll up and down for all the
information.
The question I thought was easy and there is no need for major debate over
how crap it looks.
Can it be done? Yes or No?

Yes it can be done. Search google for Marquee and HTML you will be
rewareded with thousands of examples

Steve R.

Gary Stacey wrote in message ...
I was just trying to make it fit on one screen without
the need to scroll up and down for all the information.

Scrolling up and down is *MUCH* quicker and more convenient than having to
wait for 'marquee' results - and possibly missing some -
Can it be done? Yes or No?

Yes it can be done, but the guys/gals here won't tell you if they believe
it's a bad thing.

They've got standards to maintain :~)

Steve.

PeterMcC

Toby said:
TV is a time-dependent medium. When you put some text on the screen,
you have to remove it somehow (e.g. scrolling it away, dissolving it,
or any other fancy transition effect) -- otherwise the watcher will
have to sit and stare at the same text for the rest of eternity. So
it makes sense to use scrolling text.

The web is different: you can put text on the screen and leave it
there. The user himself can remove it (by scrolling away, moving on
to the next page, etc) when he wants. This is a *Good* *Thing*.

If you're saying that these TV channels use scrolling text on their
web sites then they are being pretty dumb, but their excuse is
probably that they are just replicating the look and feel of their TV
shows.

AFAIK their web sites don't use it though I've not checked them in the
"live-scores" period. Nice point about the transient nature of the TV
ticker-taped info. I suppose that, if a web site really was handling
up-dated info at that rate, there might be a reason to use a marquee effect
but it seems unlikely that the need would really arise - and, if it did,
<marquee> wouldn't be the way to implement it.