<marquee> tag, mac screenshots and image editors

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DrAbyss78@hotmail.com, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello everyone

    Had a couple of mac questions .

    One have a webpage here:

    http://www.geocities.com/sshumsuper7fan78/JimsFilmationpage.htm

    I have been using the <marquee> tag to move a few images around the top
    and the bottom of the page. However, this only seems to work
    perfectly in IE 5 or 6 for Windows. IE 5.2 for MAC OSX loads the page
    decently, but all of the tables have red borders. Strange. The newest
    version of Safari loads the page decently, but the image at the top
    which is supposed to be "bouncing" stays motionless. None of the
    images even show up in Safari 1.03. The highest OS X I can go with as
    I understand is 10.2, which doesn't entirely suit my needs.

    Is there a way to make this more browser friendly or should I bite the
    bullet and try to learn Flash and do it this way?

    Also, is there an easy way to do screenshots from an imac G3 DVD
    player? Yes, I know, I need to upgrade to at least a G4...

    Is there a freeware image editor for MAC users as good as irfanview for
    Windows? Tried imagewell, but wasn't especially thrilled with it...

    Thanks for any help in advance! My email address is

    Jim
    , Sep 3, 2006

  2. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > Is there a way to make this more browser friendly or should I bite the
    > bullet and try to learn Flash and do it this way?

    JavaScript. Not hard
    Andy Dingley, Sep 3, 2006

  3. mbstevens Guest

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:29:55 -0700, DrAbyss78 wrote:

    > Hello everyone
    >
    > Had a couple of mac questions .
    >
    > One have a webpage here:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/sshumsuper7fan78/JimsFilmationpage.htm
    >
    > I have been using the <marquee> tag to move a few images around the top
    > and the bottom of the page. However, this only seems to work perfectly
    > in IE 5 or 6 for Windows. IE 5.2 for MAC OSX loads the page decently, but
    > all of the tables have red borders. Strange. The newest version of Safari
    > loads the page decently, but the image at the top which is supposed to be
    > "bouncing" stays motionless. None of the images even show up in Safari
    > 1.03. The highest OS X I can go with as I understand is 10.2, which
    > doesn't entirely suit my needs.
    >
    > Is there a way to make this more browser friendly or should I bite the
    > bullet and try to learn Flash and do it this way?

    <iro>
    I don't really think you should stop with marquees. No page is complete
    without a couple of flash animations, a java applet or two, and lots of
    DHTML scooting things all over the page. Turn on flashing text
    wherever you can, too. Without at least that much animation, people will
    think you are too bland to visit. And if a particular browser does not
    handle one kind of animation correctly, there will be plenty of other
    stuff on the page that it *will* work with. Never, ever let content
    interfere with animation and flashy things.
    </iro>
    mbstevens, Sep 3, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hello everyone
    >
    > Had a couple of mac questions .
    >
    > One have a webpage here:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/sshumsuper7fan78/JimsFilmationpage.htm
    >
    > I have been using the <marquee> tag to move a few images around the top
    > and the bottom of the page. However, this only seems to work
    > perfectly in IE 5 or 6 for Windows. IE 5.2 for MAC OSX loads the page
    > decently, but all of the tables have red borders. Strange. The newest
    > version of Safari loads the page decently, but the image at the top
    > which is supposed to be "bouncing" stays motionless.

    Sounds like a feature of Safari to me.

    > Is there a freeware image editor for MAC users as good as irfanview for
    > Windows? Tried imagewell, but wasn't especially thrilled with it...

    Never used irfanview but here's a Mac image editor I use:
    http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

    You can also install the GIMP under X11.

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Nikita the Spider, Sep 3, 2006
  5. mbstevens wrote:

    > <iro>

    Okay, gotta ask...what is iro?

    And to Dr Abyss, OMG if you add any more bouncing, blinking flashing
    things you'll need the standard Nintendo warning about seizures!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 3, 2006
  6. mbstevens Guest

    On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:14:08 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > mbstevens wrote:
    >

    >> <iro>

    > Okay, gotta ask...what is iro?

    That's the National Bureau of Bull tag for irony.
    The gurus there decided that a minimum of
    typing is better than clarity.
    mbstevens, Sep 3, 2006
  7. mbstevens wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:14:08 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> mbstevens wrote:
    >>

    >>> <iro>

    >> Okay, gotta ask...what is iro?

    > That's the National Bureau of Bull tag for irony.
    > The gurus there decided that a minimum of
    > typing is better than clarity.

    That said, its meaning was quite clear from context.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 3, 2006
  8. mbstevens Guest

    On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 17:56:58 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > mbstevens wrote:

    >>> Okay, gotta ask...what is iro?

    >> That's the National Bureau of Bull tag for irony. The gurus there
    >> decided that a minimum of typing is better than clarity.

    > That said, its meaning was quite clear from context.

    Yes, thank you. Although I have to admit that validator.nbb.org has
    failed it because I forgot to enclose it in a bs block, i.e.

    <bs>
    <iro>
    </iro>
    </bs>
    mbstevens, Sep 3, 2006

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > mbstevens wrote:
    >

    > > <iro>

    > Okay, gotta ask...what is iro?
    >
    > And to Dr Abyss, OMG if you add any more bouncing, blinking flashing
    > things you'll need the standard Nintendo warning about seizures!
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    LOL.. Okay, so maybe a got a mite carried away...
    , Sep 5, 2006