Marrying SQL, XML, web services, grids (audio programs)

Ken North

During Software Development 2004, we recorded a panel discussion about software
trends and the marriage of SQL, XML, web services and grid computing. The panel
included:

-Rick Cattell author and Distinguished Engineer, Sun Microsystems
-Peter Coffee author and Technology Editor, eWEEK
-Daniela Florescu co-editor of W3C specs, Senior Software Engineer, BEA
-Jim Gray author and Distinguished Engineer, Microsoft Research
-Jim Kleewein Distinguished Engineer, IBM Silicon Valley Lab
-Jim Melton author, Editor ISO/IEC SQL standard, Oracle

You can listen to it at:
http://www.webservicessummit.com/Trends/SoftwareTrends_SD2004.htm

Part 1:
Overview, introductions 0:00
Federated Databases 7:20
Integration Challenge with Heterogeneous Data 10:47
Data Access 16:56
XQuery 18:55
Java for Grids and Web Services 20:47
Are New Standards Marginalizing SQL? 24:19
Technology Adoption 33:02
Security 37:48

Part 2
Impact of Open Source 0:30
Are web services a niche solution? 5:20
Standards and open source coherence 9:15
Open source competition and Oracle's strategy 11:13
National efforts to undermine standards 12:48
Mobile devices and software 14:45
Mobile devices and XML 17:52
XQuery status and 2.0 features 18:22
RFIDs 20:48