Marshal.GetActiveObject throws an exception in a C# webservice but

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by OfurGørn, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. OfurGørn

    OfurGørn Guest

    ....it does not throw the exception in a C# form. The same code works
    perfectly in C# forms application. It seems like the computer noes not let
    ASPNET get into the ROT, where the object I want is. I have experienced with
    changing users, impersonating and so on, but with no luck.
    I test which user I am before the faulty code, with

    WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name

    where I was the user ASPNET when I started, but now I am "myself" who,
    incidentally am running the process I am trying to reach.

    the exceptions are:
    "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of
    an object", when I run a method from the object I am trying to load.
    "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800401E3): Operation
    unavailable at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetActiveObject(Guid&
    rclsid, UInt32 reserved, Object& ppunk) at
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetActiveObject(String progID)", when
    I try to access the external object itself with Marshal.GetActiveObject()

    Like I typed before, exactly the same code works in the windows forms
    version of C#, but with the web service this seems impossible.

    This error is driving me mad !!! I have been trying to fix this but am
    afraid that I've become so frustrated that I cannot see the solution now -
    typically a simple solution....

    ________________________
    Gunnar Gudmundsson

    OfurGørn, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Hi Gunnar,

    Thanks for your posting. Regarding on this issue, I've found another
    duplicated thread in this group and some other community members and I have
    posted reply there. I'd appreciate if you have a look there. In addition,
    if you feel convenient that we continue to discuss in that thread, please
    feel free to post there.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."