Martin Fowler and Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Weirich, James, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand

    ------=_NextPartTM-000-dba69d8f-3c50-41a8-9def-03ecbb0a1309

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C38130.4C02C24A

    Here's an interesting link...

    http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html
    <http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html>

    --
    -- Jim Weirich / Compuware
    -- FWP Capture Services

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C38130.4C02C24A

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    charset=3DUS-ASCII">
    5.5.2657.19">
    <TITLE>Martin Fowler and Ruby</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Here's an interesting link...</FONT>
    </P>

    <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A =
    HREF=3D"http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html"><U><FONT =
    COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
    FACE=3D"Arial">http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html</FO=
    NT></U></A>
    </P>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Tahoma">-- </FONT>
    <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Tahoma">-- Jim Weirich / Compuware</FONT>
    <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Tahoma">-- FWP Capture Services</FONT>
    <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Tahoma">-- Phone: 859-386-8855</FONT>
    </P>
    <BR>

    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    Weirich, James, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Weirich, James

    Sean O'Dell Guest

    Weirich, James wrote:
    > Here's an interesting link...
    >
    > http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html
    > <http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html>

    Not only do I concur with Mr. Fowler's view of XSLT and dropped it a
    long time ago, but I feel similar chaffing at XML itself and am adopting
    YAML for a time to see if I can get even more relief.

    Sean O'Dell

    Sean O'Dell, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Weirich, James

    Gour Guest

    Weirich, James () wrote:

    > Here's an interesting link...
    >
    > http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html
    > <http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html>

    Do you have some other interesting URL about replacing XSLT with Ruby for
    transforming XML sources?

    Sincerely,
    Gour

    --
    Gour

    Registered Linux User #278493

    Gour, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Weirich, James

    James Britt Guest

    Gour wrote:
    > Weirich, James () wrote:
    >

    >>Here's an interesting link...
    >>
    >> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html
    >><http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFromXslt.html>

    > Do you have some other interesting URL about replacing XSLT with Ruby for
    > transforming XML sources?

    I wrote an article on how I used REXML's stream parser to populate
    templates from an MXL dccument:
    http://www.rubyxml.com/articles/REXML/Stream_Parsing_with_REXML

    James Britt

    James Britt, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Weirich, James

    Gour Guest

    James Britt () wrote:

    > I wrote an article on how I used REXML's stream parser to populate
    > templates from an MXL dccument:
    > http://www.rubyxml.com/articles/REXML/Stream_Parsing_with_REXML

    Thanks. Nice reading.

    What do you think about using the same technology for transforming DocBook
    documents into Latex-like ones?

    Sincerely,
    Gour

    Gour, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Weirich, James

    James Britt Guest

    Gour wrote:

    > James Britt () wrote:
    >

    >>I wrote an article on how I used REXML's stream parser to populate
    >>templates from an MXL dccument:
    >>http://www.rubyxml.com/articles/REXML/Stream_Parsing_with_REXML

    > Thanks. Nice reading.

    Thanks.

    > What do you think about using the same technology for transforming DocBook
    > documents into Latex-like ones?

    I'm not that familiar with Latex, but from what I understand it should
    be quite doable. The difficulty may reside in how much (or little) the
    two formats map to each other.

    In Rimport I use a somewhat different approach (perhaps similar to what
    Fowler describes) where the code manually walks the tree, passing
    elements and subtrees off to dynamically-invoked methods based on
    element name and context. This may give you better control that
    straight stream parsing, plus it saves you the trouble of having to
    build your own subtrees.

    James Britt
    james_b AT neurogami DOT com

    James Britt, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Weirich, James

    Gour Guest

    James Britt () wrote:

    > I'm not that familiar with Latex, but from what I understand it should
    > be quite doable. The difficulty may reside in how much (or little) the
    > two formats map to each other.

    This doesn't bother me too much since it's always possible to map some
    DocBook tags in some LaTeX-like equivalent. Actually, I'm thinking about
    ConTeXt package.

    > In Rimport I use a somewhat different approach (perhaps similar to what
    > Fowler describes) where the code manually walks the tree, passing
    > elements and subtrees off to dynamically-invoked methods based on
    > element name and context. This may give you better control that
    > straight stream parsing, plus it saves you the trouble of having to
    > build your own subtrees.

    Thank you for pointing me at Rimport. I'll take a look in order to learn
    something :D

    Sincerely,
    Gour

    Gour, Sep 29, 2003