Mass mail - newsletter, NOT SPAMMING

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Greg9Strat, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. Greg9Strat

    Greg9Strat Guest

    I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for sending out an email to
    roughly 2,000 contacts. I have an html file that will be the body of
    the email and a SQL database containing the contact list of emails.
    These emails are our newsletters that get sent out each time there is
    something noteworthy (so this happens on average about 3 times each
    month...).

    I envision creating an email object in .NET and setting the body text
    and subject as static items and then iterating through the database for
    email addresses. For each email address, the application should send,
    and then clear the To field for the next entry... individual emails is
    chosen mostly because of SPAM filters looking for an empty TO and all
    recipients are in BCC field...

    My question now is whether I should do this on an ASP.NET page, or
    should I make this a standalone application (like console or WinForms)?
    We have an Exchange server that already is fairly consumed throughout
    the day (on a dual CPU w/ 2GB RAM, so it's fairly robust), and I'm
    concerned about the performance hit on the mail server that will most
    likely affect internal users.

    However, if I choose to go with a console application, I could thread
    it to delay the sending of messages in order to reduce the impact of
    flooding the server...

    Any feedback would be appreciated and helpful - thanks!!
    Greg

    Greg9Strat, Aug 16, 2006

  2. Greg9Strat

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Greg9Strat" <> wrote in message

    > I envision creating an email object in .NET and setting the body text
    > and subject as static items and then iterating through the database for
    > email addresses. For each email address, the application should send,
    > and then clear the To field for the next entry... individual emails is
    > chosen mostly because of SPAM filters looking for an empty TO and all
    > recipients are in BCC field...

    That's the way I do it.

    > My question now is whether I should do this on an ASP.NET page, or
    > should I make this a standalone application (like console or WinForms)?

    IMO, the latter - no question.

    > We have an Exchange server that already is fairly consumed throughout
    > the day (on a dual CPU w/ 2GB RAM, so it's fairly robust), and I'm
    > concerned about the performance hit on the mail server that will most
    > likely affect internal users.
    >
    > However, if I choose to go with a console application, I could thread
    > it to delay the sending of messages in order to reduce the impact of
    > flooding the server...
    >
    > Any feedback would be appreciated and helpful - thanks!!

    Well, one simple question first: is it vitally important that they are sent
    at a specific time, and they they are all sent as near to that specific time
    as possible? If not, then when not schedule them to be sent when your mail
    server is at its least busy, maybe overnight? If you can't do this, how
    about sending one, say every 5 seconds until they're all sent?

    Mark Rae, Aug 16, 2006

  3. It depends on how this needs to be structured.

    Ideally, you would put this code in some sort of class that can spawn
    threads, etc. It would also raise an event when it is all done, so if an
    application is waiting to hear when everything is done (like a windows app),
    it can get the event.

    You could then use the class from a console app, a windows app, or a windows
    service. Which of these you chose really depends on if you need user
    interaction to get the whole thing started, or if this is something that
    always happens every tuesday, for instance. In any case, if the code is
    isolated from the front end, you should be pretty safe in case you want to
    switch later, or add featuers.

    Marina Levit [MVP], Aug 16, 2006
  4. Greg9Strat

    Greg9Strat Guest

    Thanks for your response, Mark.

    I thought about scheduling it at night, but many of the users in our
    company have BlackBerries - so I don't want to crash the mailserver
    overnight... maybe I'm being too paranoid??? Would 2K emails be
    considered a heavy load for an Exchange server?

    Greg9Strat, Aug 16, 2006
  5. re:
    > Would 2K emails be considered a heavy load for an Exchange server?

    Not at all. Exchange won't even breathe hard while doing that.

    Every month, I send over 1,000 emails to registered members of my spanish-language
    asp.net discussion board in about 4 minutes...and that's using my own smtp server,
    which is much less efficient than Exchange.

    I use an http interface, though ( the mails are sent from an ASP.NET page ).
    I'm not sure of there's any performance gains by sending from a Windows Forms app.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 16, 2006
  6. Greg9Strat

    > I thought about scheduling it at night, but many of the users in our
    > company have BlackBerries - so I don't want to crash the mailserver
    > overnight... maybe I'm being too paranoid???

    Perhaps paranoid is not quite the right adjective, but over-cautious
    certainly... :) The fact that many of your users have Blackberries is of no
    significance here.

    > Would 2K emails be considered a heavy load for an Exchange server?

    Goodness me no! As Juan mentioned, that's nothing at all. But that's not
    really what you're asking, I think...

    It probably doesn't matter too much what technology you use to do your
    mailouts, and I guess that decision will be heavily influenced by your own
    infrastructure, so you will need to decide what is the best fit for you.

    I maintain lots of sites for lots of clients, and offer a mailshot service
    to them all. My ISP allows me to relay through their mail server, so I wrote
    a WinForms app which allows me to specify the mailing list and then schedule
    the mailshot. I wrote a WinForms app to do this because I couldn't see any
    reason not to, and couldn't see any advantage in writing it as a WebForms
    app, though it would have worked just as well..

    Mark Rae, Aug 16, 2006
  7. I used the Windows task..manager? (don't know the english name)
    And executes a simple win32 app which does an urldownload to file which
    triggers our ASP.NET website.
    This can then run as service since MSIE can not run when not logged in.

    However i would like to know how to send bulkmail while the html contents
    are unique per address.
    Each email is personalized.
    We currently send one by one during night.
    In between a few secs pause, we had smtp troubles when sent right afgter
    each other.

    Edwin Knoppert, Aug 17, 2006