Master - Detail Examples

Guest

Does anyone know of any good master-detail examples? I'm looking for as simple as you can get - with the ability to edit, add, and delete records.

My trouble is that the main table i'm working with has a bazillion fields so therefore a datagrid would grow way too wide for the page and would look tacky. Therefore I want the datagrid to have only 4 or 5 basic fields and when a user clicks on one of the rows - below the grid there will be a datalist which will have more detailed information and allow edit, and delete.

Where it get's really hairy is how to do this with as little code as possible - so I am trying to let my data adapters and datasets handle the updates and such as much as possible.

Anyone know of any good examples with regards to what I've described?

Saravana [MVP]

You can check out these two articles, this might help you.
http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/articles/Master Detail DataGrid.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/articles/SolutionstoTopFourQuestions.asp

Saravana
Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET