Master Page Control as Content Page DataSource Select Parameter in 2.0

David

In ASP.NET 2.0, is it possible to use a control that's on a Master Page as a
select parameter in a content page's datasource control? For example, the
Master Page has a drop down list of Departments. Content pages are various
Department reports listed in a TreeView control on the Master Page. From the
content page in the VWD Configure Data Source wizard (which I love!), I was
disappointed when adding a WHERE clause that the Control ID list in the
wizard didn't include any of the Master Page controls. I can see the
Departments drop down list in the Design view, shadowed and just out of
reach! How do I use a Master Page control as a datasource select parameter
for my content pages?
Many thanks for your help and guidance,
David