/master page.master does not exist

Kevin

The web application runs fine on my Windows XP computer but as soon as I
load it to our Windows 2003 server I get this error
'/master page.master' does not exist
The master page is there so am very puzzled.
Any ideas as I seem to be going around in circles.

Muhammad Naveed Yaseen

If '/master page.master' is copy paste, then you may want to try '~/
masterpage.master', because spaces and absolute (or root-relative)
addresses are not appropriate for URLs.

When we use absolute or root-relative addresses, and upon re-
deployment the wording of virtual directory on new server is not be
same as previous server, it would break such addresses.

Guest

I think I got a similar error before. Sometimes, when you deploy using the
"publish website" menu item in VS 2005, the masterpage gets some additional
junk text in its html view.
I don't really know why, and how...but I have observed it before myself.
Just to be sure, why dont you open your masterpage, and a corresponding
derived page, and look for any junk in the first 2-3 lines of the page.

Remove it and it should solve your problem

Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I had this same issue and was able to fix it. The folder wasn't set as an application in IIS.

So go to IIS and make sure that it's set as an application.

God bless!