Master Page Properties persist?

Seth Williams

If I have some Master Page properties, and assign them when the master page
first loads, knowing that I can access these property values in the current
Content pages, will these properties be persisted through every page, until
the browser is closed?

Madhur

It depends where you emit the code for assigning these properties.
Different results for content page, master page.

Seth Williams

It seems like each page load fires the page load event (non-postback) of the
Master Page

What I'm running into is that when I click a button on one page (which has
the properties loaded), I load a couple of sessions, and then
response.redirect to a second page.

In that second page's load event, I access one of the properties, but it is
'Nothing'. On further testing, apparently, the Page_Load of the content page
is actually firing BEFORE the Page_load event of the Master Page. So the
properties in the Master Page are not accessible to the content page

Once everything's loaded, I can access the properties at any time - no
problem

However, I need to access the Master Page's properties when the content page
is loaded

Is this possible, or am I missing something?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

In general, no.

The master page, while it seems like a common container in the designer, is
actually a type of user control, which means it has page scope. Even if all
of your pages use the same master, the properties are not global.

clintonG

// Reference properties from a previous page.
cross-page postback overview site:msdn2.microsoft.com