  1. Is there a way to prevent the master page to reload every time the user makes
    a selection off of the menu? I want to give it a "Frame" like appearance were
    only the content section changes with a menu selection.
    =?Utf-8?B?aWdvdHlvdXJkb3RuZXQ=?=, Sep 13, 2006

  2. Hi,

    I'm afraid there's no way to prevent the master page from reloading after
    postback.

    At run time, master pages are handled in the following sequence:
    1. Users request a page by typing the URL of the content page.
    2. When the page is fetched, the @ Page directive is read. If the directive
    references a master page, the master page is read as well. If this is the
    first time the pages have been requested, both pages are compiled.
    3. The master page with the updated content is merged into the control tree
    of the content page.
    4. The content of individual Content controls is merged into the
    corresponding ContentPlaceHolder control in the master page.
    5. The resulting merged page is rendered to the browser.

    From the browser's point of view, it's a single html page, so there's no
    way to only reload a part of it if it's posted back.

    To reload part of the page without causing a postback of the whole page,
    you may need to use some Ajax solution such as Atlas. Since Atlas is not
    released yet, it's not supported in MSDN Managed Newsgroup yet. You can
    refer to following websites for more information on it:

    #ATLAS ASP.NET Web: The Official Microsoft "ATLAS" Site : Atlas
    http://atlas.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabid=47

    #ASP.NET Forums - "Atlas" Preview
    http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=34

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    promptly.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Sep 14, 2006

  3. Hi,

    Besides above suggestion, if you could depict your actual requirement, we
    might find other possible workaround to achieve your goal.

    Would you please reply here so that I can know the status of this post?

    Regards,

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Sep 18, 2006