    suggest that I achieve this goal?What is the best way?And how long
    would it take before I can make Java applications?What websites can
    you recommend?

    Gerald, Mar 16, 2007

  2. On Mar 16, 10:14 pm, "Gerald" <> wrote:
    > ..What websites can you recommend?

    I recommend Sun's own 'Java tutorial'. It
    should be the top hit in your favorite search
    engine. Also, since you seem to take such
    care to express your message, I will point
    out that having two spaces (' ') at the
    end of each sentence, makes them much easier
    to read.

    HTH

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 16, 2007

  3. Gerald

    tony_se Guest

    On 3ÔÂ16ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç7ʱ14·Ö, "Gerald" <> wrote:
    > Hi ,Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student.Unfortunately my
    > curriculum did not include Java programming yet I see many vacancies
    > for Java developers.I studied programming Pascal,C++ and Delphi.So I
    > need to catch up quickly and master Java programming.How do you
    > suggest that I achieve this goal?What is the best way?And how long
    > would it take before I can make Java applications?What websites can
    > you recommend?

    Learning by Doing!! You can pick up one of the projects you've done
    in other languages and implement it in Java. At the beginning, you
    will
    find it hard; but after that, you will be familiar with Java
    technology.

    Tony

    tony_se, Mar 16, 2007
  4. Gerald

    jupiter Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 16, 10:14 pm, "Gerald" <> wrote:
    > ..
    >> ..What websites can you recommend?

    > I will point
    > out that having two spaces (' ') at the
    > end of each sentence, makes them much easier
    > to read.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Et tu, Andrew? I don't know where I learned that. It does improve
    readability though. Is this an EB White Elements of Style thing?
    I don't even remember.

    I think I'll email the president and ask him.

    jupiter, Mar 17, 2007
  5. jupiter wrote:
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mar 16, 10:14 pm, "Gerald" <> wrote:
    >> ..
    >>> ..What websites can you recommend?

    >> I will point
    >> out that having two spaces (' ') at the
    >> end of each sentence, makes them much easier
    >> to read.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Andrew T.
    >>

    > Et tu, Andrew? I don't know where I learned that. It does improve
    > readability though. Is this an EB White Elements of Style thing?
    > I don't even remember.

    It used to be taught in each and every typing class. It has fallen into
    desuetude in recent years because it normally looks clumsy in
    proportionally spaced fonts, and, in some software, leads to oddities
    something like the following example (which I've formed artificially).
    See how this line looks? That's the problem. In fact, this would be
    all over websites, if HTML did not have a specific rule that /all/
    whitespace sequences, of whatever size, are automatically reduced to a
    single space.

    There is something to be said for sticking to the old rule when, for
    whatever reason, one is working in a monospace font, but it's very
    difficult for most touch typists to teach the fingers to follow two
    different sets of rules.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The bright critics assembled in this volume will doubtless show, in

    John W. Kennedy, Mar 17, 2007
  6. Gerald

    Chris Uppal Guest

    John W. Kennedy wrote:

    [someone else:]
    > > > I will point
    > > > out that having two spaces (' ') at the
    > > > end of each sentence, makes them much easier
    > > > to read.

    > It used to be taught in each and every typing class. It has fallen into
    > desuetude in recent years because it normally looks clumsy in
    > proportionally spaced fonts, [...

    Nothing to do with monospaced fonts. If anything (and in the absence of
    sensible typesetting software), double-spaced sentences are /more/ valuable in
    variable-width fonts, because '.' and ' ' tend to be very narrow.

    > ...] and, in some software, leads to oddities
    > something like the following example (which I've formed artificially).
    > See how this line looks? That's the problem.

    The problem in such cases (they aren't common) is line-wrapping software
    written or specified by an idiot.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Mar 18, 2007
  7. Gerald

    Guest

    On 3ÔÂ16ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç7ʱ14·Ö, "Gerald" <> wrote:
    > Hi ,Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student.Unfortunately my
    > curriculum did not include Java programming yet I see many vacancies
    > for Java developers.I studied programming Pascal,C++ and Delphi.So I
    > need to catch up quickly and master Java programming.How do you
    > suggest that I achieve this goal?What is the best way?And how long
    > would it take before I can make Java applications?What websites can
    > you recommend?

    More see here!
    http://www.flash50.com/index.php

    , Mar 18, 2007