MasterPages or Web Visual Inheritance (ASP.Net 1.1)?

VR

Hi, I read about Master Pages in ASP.Net 2.0 and after implementing some
WinForms Visual Inheritance I tryed it with WebForms (let's say .aspx pages,
my MasterPage does not have a form tag itself so, cannot be called a WebForm
itself, the child pages will implement forms).
I created a Master.aspx page and removed all HTML from it, added some code
to the .aspx.vb file to add controls to my page. Then I created a Child.aspx
and changed the "Inherits System.Web.UI.Page" to "Inherits MyWeb.Master" and
everything gone really fine.

Problem: all I need as HTML/Forms/Controls/Etc need to be created by code, I
cannot use the Designer to work on the page (but, let's say that's my
problem)

Question: Is there anything I'm missing here? Is that easy like it? Is there
any internal ASP.Net design considerations that would bring me problems with
this approach?

PS: I know about the MasterPage control found in www.asp.net, I do not need
an alternative for my approach, I just want to know if this kind of design
would work without problems.

Thanks,
Victor Reboucas

Curt_C [MVP]

Are you trying this in 2.0 or in 1.0/1.1 ?
If 2.0 you need the MASTER= in the page
If 1.0/1.1 you aren't going to get the same functionality

VR

As in the subject of this message, ASP.Net 1.1.

The problem is not getting the same functionality (I know these are two
different approaches), I want to know if I could face problems with this
approach (WebForms Visual Inheritance). Let's say I asked myself "since
Framework 1.0 there is Visual Inheritance for WinForms, why did not MS say
you can do the same with WebForms, is there any problem I'm missing?"

Regards,
Victor Reboucas

Curt_C [MVP]

Visual Inheritance is not there for forms in WebForms at this point. You can
get it with controls and you can work around it at code time but I do not
believe you can get design time visual inheritance in VS2002/3.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

VR

Yes, I know it's not there for forms (as said in the first message *), I
used the term "WebForms visual inheritance" as a way to get the idea that
what I'm doing is the same that people do in WinForms as Visual Inheritance
and I'm not concerned in using the designer (as said in the first message
also **), so, my question is still unanswerer:

Is there any "ASP.NET INTERNAL DESING ISSUE" that could bring me problems
using this approach?