matplotlib not plotting dates

Discussion in 'Python' started by OKB (not okblacke), Aug 8, 2006.

  1. I just downloaded matplotlib and I was trying to do some simple
    date plots, but I'm running up against a puzzling error. Whenever I
    attempt to plot dates, I get an exception on line 157 of
    matplotlib/dates.py that says 'ValueError: need more than 0 values to
    unpack'. That line is:

    hour, remainder = divmod(24*remainder, 1)

    I don't understand how divmod can be returning 0 values. I
    inserted a statement into dates.py to "print divmod(24*remainder, 1)"
    and, mind-bogglingly, it actually printed "()" sometimes.

    The traceback indicates that this error is occuring when matplotlib
    tries to set up the axis labels for the date plot. I don't know enough
    about matplotlib to know exactly what it's doing, though.

    Does anyone have any ideas for how to fix this? This error occurs
    even with the matplotlib example scripts (e.g., date_demo1.py).

    I'm running it on Windows XP, Python 2.4, and my matplotlibrc file
    just has the default settings (TkAgg backend).

    --
    --OKB (not okblacke)
    Brendan Barnwell

    OKB (not okblacke), Aug 8, 2006